Advice wanted on starter vinyl hifi for my daughter....

Sleuth

Hello,

My teenage daughter who is really into her music is keen on a turntable for her birthday. I've not had any vinyl for other 30 years and only rediscovered my hifi during Lockdown 1.

I am keen to resist the urge to buy something cheap and nasty and was wondering about a starter hifi system for her bedroom.

So far, I've thought of a Rega Planar 1 as the turntable (although I did nearly jump at a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon on special recently). I have an old Sony AV amp with Phono section (STR-DB930) that I can use in the short term (possibly a Cambridge Audio AXA35 or Rega IO in the medium term - or next year) and some Q Acoustics 3010i (in white) to go in her relatively small loft bedroom.

Any other/better/alternative suggestions welcome including - just buying something for £40 off Amazon.

At present she listens to loads of Spotify on her phone with some SoundMagic E10Cs or streamed from her phone to a Philips Mini-system (very basic). The Philips would go in any upgrade.

I have a few months to wait/look around for specials and money is tight so I need to do this cost effectively (if at all).

Thanks for any thoughts.

Oasticles

Another option could be to go for Pro-Ject Jukebox set up. That has a built in amp that also has bluetooth to stream from her phone. Add a pair of speakers like Dali Spektor 2's and you're good to go.

It's a neat and tidy solution and there's often offers to be had for a package. I believe there's a newer version out so sometimes the Jukebox E is on discount.

I started with it when rediscovering vinyl and it's upgradable should you decide you want to swap out the stylus / cartridge or simply use it as a turntable with an external amp.

acgingersnaps

Hi. I'd say you're on the right track. A Rega starter system will sound brilliant in a small room.
Have you seen this?

acgingersnaps

Add this and you have. Full streaming + vinyl system for under £1200.

Amazon product

English Invader

The set-up you have in mind is effectively the Audiophile Man's basic starter kit and there was someone on here a few months ago who managed to get all three components used for a fraction of their RRPs.

It might be worth biding your time in the used market if £1,000 is more than you can afford. I started off with a cheap £80 Ion three years ago and I've gradually worked my way up to a £1,300 system. I think the most important thing is to just start playing records and then figure out the rest as you go along. As with many things in life, it's taking that initial first step and turning the idea into a reality that counts.

mcbainne

Distinguished Member
Hello,

My teenage daughter who is really into her music is keen on a turntable for her birthday. I've not had any vinyl for other 30 years and only rediscovered my hifi during Lockdown 1.

I am keen to resist the urge to buy something cheap and nasty and was wondering about a starter hifi system for her bedroom.

So far, I've thought of a Rega Planar 1 as the turntable (although I did nearly jump at a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon on special recently). I have an old Sony AV amp with Phono section (STR-DB930) that I can use in the short term (possibly a Cambridge Audio AXA35 or Rega IO in the medium term - or next year) and some Q Acoustics 3010i (in white) to go in her relatively small loft bedroom.

Any other/better/alternative suggestions welcome including - just buying something for £40 off Amazon.

At present she listens to loads of Spotify on her phone with some SoundMagic E10Cs or streamed from her phone to a Philips Mini-system (very basic). The Philips would go in any upgrade.

I have a few months to wait/look around for specials and money is tight so I need to do this cost effectively (if at all).

Thanks for any thoughts.

I was in the same position and bought a TEAC TN-180BT bluetooth turntable which she used with a small BT speaker for a couple of months, got her one of the new Amazon Echo's for Christmas as that has a line in and that's working well. My plan is if she sticks with it I would eventually look at a set of active speakers for the next step up

Sleuth

Hi. I'd say you're on the right track. A Rega starter system will sound brilliant in a small room.
Have you seen this?

Thanks, I had seen that but unfortunately it's way over my budget. I'm hoping to spend no more than £600 if I can - especially to begin with, that's why I'll use the Sony amp in the short term. Thanks though

Sleuth

The set-up you have in mind is effectively the Audiophile Man's basic starter kit and there was someone on here a few months ago who managed to get all three components used for a fraction of their RRPs.

It might be worth biding your time in the used market if £1,000 is more than you can afford. I started off with a cheap £80 Ion three years ago and I've gradually worked my way up to a £1,300 system. I think the most important thing is to just start playing records and then figure out the rest as you go along. As with many things in life, it's taking that initial first step and turning the idea into a reality that counts.
Thanks, yes that's what I'm thinking as budget is an issue so I may buy used if I can find the right components or buy step by step.

Sleuth

Another option could be to go for Pro-Ject Jukebox set up. That has a built in amp that also has bluetooth to stream from her phone. Add a pair of speakers like Dali Spektor 2's and you're good to go.

It's a neat and tidy solution and there's often offers to be had for a package. I believe there's a newer version out so sometimes the Jukebox E is on discount.

I started with it when rediscovering vinyl and it's upgradable should you decide you want to swap out the stylus / cartridge or simply use it as a turntable with an external amp.
That's an interesting option too and not one I was aware of. As I already have a donor amp though, I may be able to get turntable and speakers for a similar price. Food for thought for sure. Many thanks!

Sleuth

I was in the same position and bought a TEAC TN-180BT bluetooth turntable which she used with a small BT speaker for a couple of months, got her one of the new Amazon Echo's for Christmas as that has a line in and that's working well. My plan is if she sticks with it I would eventually look at a set of active speakers for the next step up

That's interesting too - thanks. I had spotted the Sony bluetooth turntable but had my head turned by the Rega Planar. Bluetooth would be easy as she uses it all the time and it means she might be able to just add the turntable to her existing system. Great suggestion. Thanks!

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
We had this as a deal on the run up to christmas, got one left and the speakers have been out on demo.

Cracking little bit of kit and starter system.

muljao

I'd suggest a pair of decent powered speakers and a turntable. If the turntable has a built in phono stage, the speakers don't need one, or vice versa. Any speakers will likely have bluetooth and there are a few good streaming options available also that would make it a more complete system.

muljao

Sleuth

I'd suggest a pair of decent powered speakers and a turntable. If the turntable has a built in phono stage, the speakers don't need one, or vice versa. Any speakers will likely have bluetooth and there are a few good streaming options available also that would make it a more complete system.
Thank you - that's an interesting suggestion too.

English Invader

^That can be done for a lot cheaper. My "step-up" from the previously mentioned Ion was a Sony LX-300USB and these Kitsound Reunion powered speakers:

Amazon product
I'm not disputing that you'll get better sound quality from the Kantos but the Kitsounds were enough to get me going and were certainly a trade-up from the Ion's internal speakers. Try and do better if you can but these speakers aren't the end of the world. I used them for 18 months.

You could also do a lot worse than this Audio-Technica AT-LP3 that the Audiophile Man reviewed recently. It's fully automatic with a removable/universal headshell (unheard of before at this price point) and adjustments for counter weight/tracking force (again unheard of at this price):

Sleuth

^That can be done for a lot cheaper. My "step-up" from the previously mentioned Ion was a Sony LX-300USB and these Kitsound Reunion powered speakers:

Amazon product
I'm not disputing that you'll get better sound quality from the Kantos but the Kitsounds were enough to get me going and were certainly a trade-up from the Ion's internal speakers. Try and do better if you can but these speakers aren't the end of the world. I used them for 18 months.

You could also do a lot worse than this Audio-Technica AT-LP3 that the Audiophile Man reviewed recently. It's fully automatic with a removable/universal headshell (unheard of before at this price point) and adjustments for counter weight/tracking force (again unheard of at this price):
Thanks, yes, I'm definitely looking to do this on a budget so cheaper ideas (that are also decent quality) are very much welcome

Sleuth

I've just taken a closer look at the mini-system (Philips BTM2310/05) and it has a 3.5mm line in on the front of the unit. If I was to get a Turntable (e.g. Pro-ject T1 Phono SB) with a phono section, could I not connect this to the Philips with a RCA to 3.5mm cable? That might allow me to get a decent turntable to begin with, allow her to try vinyl and be a good base to upgrade from in time?

English Invader

I've just taken a closer look at the mini-system (Philips BTM2310/05) and it has a 3.5mm line in on the front of the unit. If I was to get a Turntable (e.g. Pro-ject T1 Phono SB) with a phono section, could I not connect this to the Philips with a RCA to 3.5mm cable? That might allow me to get a decent turntable to begin with, allow her to try vinyl and be a good base to upgrade from in time?

I'm hesitant to give a categoric "Yes" to the 3.5mm as it was intended more for mobile phones than TTs (someone else here may know better) but the specs sheet for the Phillips says that it has Bluetooth and there are some respectable BT turntables around:
Amazon product

steve iow

Wouldn’t recommend any product from TEAC Hinges broke on on turntable lid; 2 months down the line and email after email giving the run around shocking customer support still not resolved

Sleuth

I'm hesitant to give a categoric "Yes" to the 3.5mm as it was intended more for mobile phones than TTs (someone else here may know better) but the specs sheet for the Phillips says that it has Bluetooth and there are some respectable BT turntables around:
Amazon product

Yes, a bluetooth option (or one with both Bluetooth and built in Phono stage) is definitely one of my options. I have noted the Sony turntable which seems to be decent from the reviews.

I understand caution on the 3.5mm jack - as you say it's aimed at portable music players but I'm guessing it should work ok?

Many thanks!

interbear

I’ll be keeping a close eye on this thread. Exactly the same situation as the OP here, teenage daughter is keen to get into vinyl music (it seems to be cool amongst the youngsters) and despite my protestations is adamant that it’s something she’d love to have. She does seem to prefer 80s and 90s music too so is a real retro character. Me, not so much, streaming and CDs do me fine, no interest in vinyl as I know if I did get into it, it would quickly become something I’d throw too much money at. The Rega system above looks good but as a starter set I was thinking a few hundred quid not over £1k.

interbear

Amazon product

That looks ideal for my use case as it has a phono stage which means I could plug it into the analogue input of a Technics compact HiFi recently acquired. Quite a cost effective way to let daughter try vinyl out. Will explore more. Sorry to jump on your thread @Sleuth but a very similar situation here, and I’m keen to encourage my daughters increasing love of music.

Sleuth

@interbear No worries, I figured this might be a useful topic for a few people. Hope it helps you too.

A bit like you say, I'm learning towards a turntable I can connect (either via Bluetooth or a built in phone stage) to my daughters current mini system. That would get us started for a few hundred quid and as long as the turntable is good enough, gives us something we can upgrade to either active speakers or an amp and speakers in the future. For active speakers I'm really liking the look of the Ruark MR1 Mk2 which they say can work with a turntable.

My preference still is for a better turntable (perhaps with a built in phono stage to connect via RCA to 3.5mm (or using a phono stage like the newly review IFI)

DigitalDigger

Browse the classifieds, for £600 you will build a very nice starter system.
Rega rp1 can be had for £150
£150-£200 for a modest set of speakers.
Leaves you £250-£300 for an amp, cables and a couple of records.
Plenty if you ask me
Good thing about here is, most people with good feedback have been here for years and take care of the stuff.
I've bought used things that could pass as new

DigitalDigger

Also, if using Spotify as well, get a cc audio or an older dragonfly. Either can be used for Spotify and will be streets ahead of a smart speaker

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Amazon Music HD drops subscription charge for lossless audio
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
GREAT! launches entertainment network on 25th May
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Apple Music subscribers get lossless tier and spatial audio from June
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
WarnerMedia and Discovery to merge under AT&T deal