Advice wanted on CD transport/player

D

dancohen

My current system is a Micromega Stage 3 going into an Audiolab 8000 DAC.

I like the sound and would not want to change except for one thing. The Micromega does not like burned CDs (details in another thread in case anyone can come up with a way to get it working). THis is annoying me so much that I am considering getting another new or second-hand transport/player to replace it.

I am wondering what people would recommend. Even £500 seems too much, though I could stretch to a bit more if I really decided on iy.

Possibilities include a second-hand Arcam Alpha 9 (my secondary system uses an ancient Arcam Alpha) or one of the Cambridge Audio models.

Dom996

I responded to your other thread and if those ideas don't work, try a second hand Arcam Diva CD82 or CD92. They are integrated players like the Micromega, but have digital outputs so you can use them as transports.

D

dancohen

Dom996 said:
I responded to your other thread and if those ideas don't work, try a second hand Arcam Diva CD82 or CD92. They are integrated players like the Micromega, but have digital outputs so you can use them as transports.

Are these Arcams the same quality as the Micromega?

What about the Alpha 9 (it's currently available at one dealer at a reasonable price)?

Another one I saw recently in a dealer's list was the Cyrus CDXT. More expensive than the Alpha 9 but still reasonable.

CJROSS

Toshiba SD-900e or SD-9500. Very very low jitter specs. Well designed enigneered units. You never know, you may actually like the sound of them doing CD. I did in regard to my old TAG DAC 20, which was based on the Audiolab 8000 DAX.

I have also recently been playing around with a Sony NS900V into my Cambridge Audio DAC 2i II, excellent sounds to these ears for CD & DVD use.

My advice is to spend £100-400 on a an old DVD player from yesteryear. They make excellent transports & can also sound pretty superb with CD in their own right.

HTHs & IMHO. :smashin:

dynamic turtle

TEAC VRDS, TEAC VRDS, TEAC VRDS, TEAC VRDS, TEAC VRDS, TEAC VRDS.

Comprende??

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom