Advice Wanted - obviously

guypb

Have just taken delivery of the Optoma EP1690 - it's to double up as both a work/presentation/training projector, and a home cinema projector.

Anyway I have done an initial set up and am not as happy as I would like but am sure there is room for improvement.

1) Screen vs wall - at present I am projecting onto a creme wall - is there a vast difference in quality between a wall and a proper screen?
2) Input cabling - I am using a 5m s-video cable - is this bad? Does the quality improve if I use a different cable type? I do not have HD tele, but I could do component or Scart to VGA.
3) The projector has a DVI input - if I ran off the DVI output from my laptop, would that give me true Hi Def feed?
4) Settings - where to start - I have no idea what is the best combination of contrast, brightness, sharpness, gamma, blah, blah - I am sure every setting differs dependent on source, cabling, projector type, age and time of the month - is there any way of sorting through this minefield of jargon and combinations?

ANY advice would be great!

Malky1903

Have just taken delivery of the Optoma EP1690 - it's to double up as both a work/presentation/training projector, and a home cinema projector.

Anyway I have done an initial set up and am not as happy as I would like but am sure there is room for improvement.

1) Screen vs wall - at present I am projecting onto a creme wall - is there a vast difference in quality between a wall and a proper screen?
Yes. A screen will almost always look better than a painted wall
2) Input cabling - I am using a 5m s-video cable - is this bad? Does the quality improve if I use a different cable type? I do not have HD tele, but I could do component or Scart to VGA.
Component over s-video for better picture quality
3) The projector has a DVI input - if I ran off the DVI output from my laptop, would that give me true Hi Def feed?
High def but not true high def. PJ will downscale 1080 images to PJ's native res
4) Settings - where to start - I have no idea what is the best combination of contrast, brightness, sharpness, gamma, blah, blah - I am sure every setting differs dependent on source, cabling, projector type, age and time of the month - is there any way of sorting through this minefield of jargon and combinations?
Settings are subjective and each to their own

:)

stripe

4) Get something like Digital Video Essentials (DVE) from somewhere like Play for a about a £15 this should give the basics of setting it up ok. Other that you can always trust your eyes, ie. if it looks ok then it is ok :thumbsup:

guypb

Thanks for the advice.
Given that I am a total newbie - what is the difference between Component & Composite (yellow ended cable)?

In quality terms, what is the difference between S-Video, VGA, DVI, Component & Composite (I also know of HDMI but this is for HDef I believe).

cheers

dalar

I'm going to be honest with you here.... it could be the PJ.

I, like yourself started about a year ago into the world of projectors. Back then paying anything over £600 scared the hell out of me, so I setlled for a optoma dx605r - its just like your PJ (different casing) but it has the exact same inputs.

I used S-Video, composite and even a special SCART-to-VGA connector which means i can feed RGB signals which are much better than the rest. Again my optoma came with that adapter so hopefully yours should be somewhere too.

I kinda thought I had a good machine, brightness was 2200 lumens, contrast ratio was 2000:1, pretty respectable based on what I paid for it, and yet the images just didnt look at all wow, they were just 'ok'.

I must of spent hours going through the settings and trying to configure the picture but I just couldn't get it to a point where I was truly happy with it - I used the AVIA calibration discs too, they themselves didnt look too good on the screen either lol.

So, fast forward to a year (present time), I have just purchased a Sanyo Z5 projector - I bought this because it is a 'home theatre' PJ, and my oh my, as soon as I set it up (no callibration) and put in a dvd I was truly awww struck, the picture was gorjus on my screen, and in the end it made sense, the Sanyo is designed for the home .... when I put a computer VGA signal through the optoma, thats when it shined, it looked really good, crisp and clear, but when I tried putting through video...:rolleyes:

So overall, try callibrating so that you can get it to look 'better', but dont waste too much time trying to make it look spectacular because the PJ might not be able to give you such an image because its primary use could be for business.

stripe

In terms of quality from S-Video, VGA, DVI, Component & Composite, plus the others commonly used, from poorest to best.

Composite
S-video
Scart
VGA\Component
DVI\Hdmi

It is worth spending a few £££ on the cables as they can make a big difference.

guypb

Thanks for the advice.

I was using Composite initially and managed to set up to use Scart which made a big difference.

I have other problems with the projector - dodgy electrical connection etc. but the performance has improved.

My big problem now is the number of sources I am trying to route through the projector I am sure is affecting performance. I want to add a home cinema system to this and am worried that the number of switch boxes etc is diluting the signal. Which forum is best to discuss how to get the best signal from a number of sources (SAT, Wii, DVD, FreeView etc.)??

cheers

dalar

as long as you pay "good money" for a switch box and dont get a cheap one you should be fine, the more expensive ones often ensure that there is very low signal loss... if any!

stripe

You could look at getting an amp with will up convert all your inputs to one, either HDMI or Component, ie. takes your sky's s-video, freeviews composite and the DVD players component and can send them to the projector through one cable.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom