Question Advice wanted: KVM solution for USB-C/thunderbolt laptop and Desktop PC without USB-C output

kev1987

Novice Member
Have got a new home office and I'm looking to try and tidy up an existing KVM set up that I have from an old laptop. Looking for some advice/pointers.

The ideal requirements are:
  • USB-C with PD to connect from my Dell Latitude 7300 work laptop, and the kids' Chromebooks
  • HDMI/VGA/Displayport and USB connection to our family desktop box (Lenovo Ideacentre 720)
  • VGA/DVI/DisplayPort connection to monitor (it's old....)
  • Three USB ports for peripherals
  • Remote switch so that the connections can all be hidden under/behind the desk
I'm pretty resigned to the fact I'll need some adapters in there somewhere rather than one KVM that will actually meet my requirements.

Currently I have a VGA KVM switch which wa a nice cheap solution to the problem, but caused there to be wires all over the desk.

As I see it, there are two options:
  1. VGA/DisplayPort KVM and a USB-C adapter that enable PD passthrough as well as USB/Displayport - Does one exist?
  2. USB-C KVM like this which enables the PD passthrough, but would need a HDMI to DisplayPort adapter to connect the monitor and an adapter to connect the desktop to a USB-C port
Cost is also a factor I should add. Ideally I want to keep the solution under abour £150.

What would people recommend/are there any other ideas?

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom