1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice wanted: buying a cheap 28" w/s TV

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Seamus, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Seamus

Seamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

One of my flatmates moved out last month taking her TV with her :(

I'm now looking for a budget TV (£380 is our absolute maximum) which we will be using mainly to watch NTL cable channels, but also occasionally for VHS videos from a cheap Sharp VCR. The NTL box has an RGB scart socket, the vcr has a scart socket as well but I don't know if it's an RGB one. I would like to route the audio through my hifi separates.

I stumbled across this forum and have spent a couple of hours reading through old posts, however it seems my budget isn't enough for "serious" home cinema. I'd be grateful for any advice concerning cheaper televisions, in particular 28" widescreen models.

Comet have their Goodmans W282NS for £300 (+£50 for stand) which is nicely within budget (plus I can go and pick it up from Hatfield tomorrow). They also have a Proline W28D1 for £30 less.

Empire Direct has a gorgeous-looking Sanyo 28WN5 for £380 including delivery and stand, and another three 28" widescreen sets within my budget... a Samsung, a Toshiba and a Hitachi.

I don't really know how much there is to choose between all of this lot - anyone with any experience or advice to pass on would be very welcome! Although I've shopped online happily for computer parts, books, CDs in the past, I would prefer to avoid Empire if I can because a television could be very expensive if I had to return it for any reason, and I'm not so confident about after sales service for TVs from online retailers.

Thanks for reading this far! :)

Cheers

Seamus

2. mwhorley

mwhorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's only one choice mate :-

www.greatelectrics.com

Philips 28" PW6006C (inc stand) £359+£10 delivery. Philips picture quality and design brilliant for this price. The same set is £499 in Comet.

Philips are highly regarded in the Widescreen TV market.

I've just brought one of these after hours of research. The only choice for me was the Philips, it was just a case of finding the best deal which greatelectrics offered.

Believe me you wont be dissapointed.

Mike.

3. Seamus

Seamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Price looks good but the website looks very dodgy - has anyone anything good or bad to report about using greatelectrics.com? I don't think I will trust them with my money.

Cheers

Seamus

4. mwhorley

mwhorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't be fooled by the look (book & cover etc !!)

I called them and ordered over the phone. The TV arrived next day @10am even though I ordered at 3pm and it was over the Christmas period.

The service was excellent as is the price, pay more if you must but why waste money.

Mike.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have never heard of this company before which doesn't mean anything in itself but on the many times on the forum that the question of where to buy from has arisen they have never been mentioned.

I have had a look at their website which tells you nothing about them at all but maybe members living in Doncaster will tell us what type of premises are Balby Court, Carr Hill.

Another minor point, the name of the company is quoted as being Greatelectrics.com which is probably a trading name of a limited company.

Find out the name of the limited company and do a search at http://www.companies-house.gov.uk/info/ which will at the least tell you how long the company has been registered.

Ian

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You've probably already bought a TV a long time ago but I thought I'd put in my 2p's worth for the Sanyo. My dad bought one for the ludicrously cheap price of £330, it looks great, has a great picture (sorry tv snobs but it has) and sounds fine. I am looking out for one at the moment. At that price (or even for an extra £100) this is an incredible bargain.

7. Seamus

Seamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for posting. Yep, I bought a Philips 28PW6006 from Hi-Spek in St Albans. £392 including stand, and I'm very very pleased with it - it has a lovely picture, good sound, and hasn't given us any trouble at all (had it 3 months now). Looks good too, IMO.

:)

8. Kirodesign

Kirodesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before changing to the JVC AV28WFT1, I had the 32inch Goodmans widescreen (W322NS). And I'm afraid it leaves a lot to be desired. Overall picture quality is OK, but the S-Video is horrible with terrible grain and bleed. The RGB cannot be viewed in any ratio other than 16:9 (my main reason for changing) and it doesn't have WSS. It looks nice though.

Basically It's all size. I spend £500 on this a year ago and it's currently on sale for £250. Worth it at that price, but nothing more.

In reference to your post, I would suspect that the 28 inch version is no better.

I was buying to a very tight budget too, but stretched to £500 and bought the TV mentioned above. Best decision I've made in ages.

9. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    could try tesco !!

Their superstores do a good range of tv's and prices - mate of mine picked up their 28" wharfdale for £299 I think ... (plus clubcard points !!)