Advice - upgrade my Sony STR-DN1080?

gibbsy

I hope you enjoy the Denon if you do decide to get it. If you have a stereo amp with HT by-pass for music then, like my Denon set up, it can be a very effective combination.

Atomcom

The Denon X3700 will drive them, though expect the AVR to get hotter especially at higher volume levels. (4 ohms speakers are not as loud as 8ohms speakers at the same level) Do you find the Opticons to be loud enough at normal sound levels now, or do you find you have to turn up the volume more?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I would say you biggest issue is making sure the AVR can drive the 4 ohm Dali Opticon 6. I am thinking of buying the Dali's myself but worried about driving them with a standard Yamaha AVR and not a dedicated Amp connected to the Preout..

Both the Denon and Yamaha won´t have any issues with said speakers. The Denon is very stable with 4ohm loads which we have seen from measurements and in real life. A3080 is lot more powerfull and has been used often with 4ohm nominal speakers (Arendals, M&K etc.) to ear bleeding levels. As long as you don´t set the impedance switch to 4ohm, make sure there is space on top and sides for ventilation, don´t activate ECO mode to "On" then you should be good to go. I assume you have subwoofer too so you won´t be powering the speakers full range.

darrenhaken

I hope you enjoy the Denon if you do decide to get it. If you have a stereo amp with HT by-pass for music then, like my Denon set up, it can be a very effective combination.
I've got an Audiolab 6000A, currently using an amp switch I borrowed off a friend

darrenhaken

Both the Denon and Yamaha won´t have any issues with said speakers. The Denon is very stable with 4ohm loads which we have seen from measurements and in real life. A3080 is lot more powerfull and has been used often with 4ohm nominal speakers (Arendals, M&K etc.) to ear bleeding levels. As long as you don´t set the impedance switch to 4ohm, make sure there is space on top and sides for ventilation, don´t activate ECO mode to "On" then you should be good to go. I assume you have subwoofer too so you won´t be powering the speakers full range.
Yes, I have a BK subwoofer.

My speaker setup is:
Dali Opticon 6 mk2s
Dali Opticon Vokal mk2
Dali Oberon On-Wall
BK sub

darrenhaken

The Denon X3700 will drive them, though expect the AVR to get hotter especially at higher volume levels. (4 ohms speakers are not as loud as 8ohms speakers at the same level) Do you find the Opticons to be loud enough at normal sound levels now, or do you find you have to turn up the volume more?
I have had to turn the amp higher but its still really quiet to be honest, relative to what the Sony can drive.

darrenhaken

I would say you biggest issue is making sure the AVR can drive the 4 ohm Dali Opticon 6. I am thinking of buying the Dali's myself but worried about driving them with a standard Yamaha AVR and not a dedicated Amp connected to the Preout..
They have seemed fine with the Sony

Atomcom

I have had to turn the amp higher but its still really quiet to be honest, relative to what the Sony can drive.
That is the down side of 4 ohms speakers, you generally get better quality sound but they are quieter then 8 ohms speakers (generally). So you end up turning the volume up, more the volume goes up more the current goes up .. I would say that does not make to much of a difference, unless you find the AVR getting a lot hotter, then you could be overdriving the amp .

gibbsy

I've got an Audiolab 6000A, currently using an amp switch I borrowed off a friend
The Audiolab has HT by-pass. This means you can use it to drive the fronts acting as a power amp and relieve some of the burden on the Denon. That is really the main advantage over the speaker switch which would be a necessity with the Sony and the Denon X2700.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom