• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice to Upgrade 5.1 system

lordlemon

I could do with some advice on Upgrading My Current System as I am getting Conflicting Advice from Dealers

My Current System is
Pioneer BDP LX 52 BD , Onkyo 876 , Q Acoustics 5.1 system with 1000SI Subwoofer

My Room Is 4.5 m x 4.2 m x 2.6 m High with projecting Fireplace 1.2 m x1.2 m
all walls are solid Face brickwork as property is 1660

Budget £2600.00

Pioneer BD and Onkyo Amplifier will not be Changed

My Speaker location will be FR and Rears on wall centre on TV cabinet

will only upgrade Speakers and Subwoofer

Preferences for 5.0 are focal Domes ,MA Apex and Paradigm Millennia
For Subwoofers Velodyne Microvee ,Spl1000 CHT10 Q or Paradigm Seismic 110

Wouild like a proper Cinema Sound can these Systems Achieve this and have no need for 2 chanell compromises as i have a good system in another room

Any Experiences and thoughts would be appreciated andwould i get a better upgrade with Subwoofer first

Member 566779

The Domes, apex ect are great for their size but will always be limited by their size as well if that makes sense. If you are after a small sat package to neatly fit into a room then there is going to be a sacrifice... The other idea might be to get a set of bookshelf speakers at the front or go for Monitor Audio Radius 250s wall mounted as LCR if you are trying to keep things minimal.

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
lordlemon said:
like a proper Cinema Sound can these Systems Achieve this and have no need for 2 chanell compromises as i have a good system in another room

The phrase 'proper cinema sound' is open to wide interpretation. Can you expand on exactly what you want to achieve? Are you going to be playing at reference level? Do you want to be thumped in the chest when someone lets off a shotgun? How understanding are your neighbours?

lordlemon

The phrase 'proper cinema sound' is open to wide interpretation. Can you expand on exactly what you want to achieve? Are you going to be playing at reference level? Do you want to be thumped in the chest when someone lets off a shotgun? How understanding are your neighbours?

Not at reference level but like the feeling of being thumped in chest

I know cinemas dont go very low but like the nice growly sound
but doubt going to loud would work in my room iam usually at nn more than -20 on Bluray/DVD

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
if you have the room this Focal full size system looks like good value based on the individual component reviews -

Focal 800 5.1 AV Speakers Package at Audio Affair

Alternatives to these would be these -

KEF Q900 5.1 Speaker Package at Audio Affair

Acoustic Energy Radiance 3 5.1 AV Speaker Package at Audio Affair

Home Cinema Speakers Bowers And Wilkins 683 THEATRE | hifix.co.uk

if you like the look/style MA radius have a look at Canterbury Hifi as they usually have good ex demo deals on the B&W FPM series. I have these for front/centre with M1 satelite rears. Also look at B&K subs as these are great value.

Remember, don't take a dealers word for it, demo, and if necessary demo again and believe your own ears. You have the cash and you will have to live with the sound.

Member 566779

Remember, don't take a dealers word for it

Sad Panda :(... but his right at the end of the day... we should just point you in the right direction... your ears justify the rest... But always remember that the system will sound different in your house to a demo room as well but its still a good guide.

And good call on the Focal 800 series 5.1... don't go for the "upgrade" and get the 836vs... the 826V speakers are more coherent and have much better timing over the 836 (in my opinion) and with a BK sub room you will not be lacking any bass.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom