Advice- Tannoy Repair?

PNB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a Tannoy DC6TSE repaired?

I've got one of the floorstanders clearly bot playing the very high frequency sounds (can notice it with complete absence of high hats and symbols etc), I'm assuming it is the horn tweeter that sits inside the top cone?

Its just one.

They're a lovely set of speakers and I cant really afford to replace them with something as nice as I've been out of work for most of Covid.

Even a used set of speakers of similair quality must be about £500?

On that note- is there anything bargainous about that people have seen often goes for little cash on ebay etc?

Thanks

Oh and I'm based in Nottingham if that helps with who to take them to for repair?

They are long out of warranty and tbh I cant even remember where I bought them from (it was an online retailer).

Thanks

Try contacting Tannoy and find out where your nearest service location is. They should be worth repairing assuming the part(s) are available. Those dual concentric 2 in 1 drivers are quite tricky to work with so I wouldn't attempt it yourself unless you know what you are doing. Good luck!

Cheers. I've tried- you have to register as an end customer with something called music tribe. Then login again but it won't let me do it. All v frustrating! No telephone number for Tannoy etc.

GRRRRRR!!!!

Their number was 01236-420199 when I worked in the trade, worth a try.

Thanks Wine man. From what I understand they have moved to online submission form as their only form of customer service.

Terrible!

I'll try that number when I get 5 mins later though- thank you.

I have just managed to get it to accept my registration and sent a form off but I'm not hopeful- there is a thread on here and someone else didn't hear back for 6 weeks using that form!

Cheers matey

I won't be buying Tannoy again!

On that note- does anyone know which manufacturer is most helpful in repairing their speakers?

20211101_120722.jpg
20211101_120455.jpg
20211101_120449.jpg
20211101_120442.jpg

Having a go myself... any ideas how to check this tweeter now its out? I have a sneaking suspicion its the crossover!

Attachments

• 20211101_120455.jpg
    20211101_120455.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 34
Easy to test. Get an AA or AAA battery and a couple of bits of wire and briefly touch it across the tweeter connections.

You should hear a scraping, scratchy noise when you do if the tweeter is working.

I would doubt it's the crossover. They are pretty much bomb proof, while the tweeters can burn out. On the older Tannoys, you could easily replace just the voice coil and diaphragm - took about 10 minutes, but I think those are sealed units, so cannot be rebuilt.

Daft question, but you did check that the linking bars were in and tight? It's very easy for them to come loose and even to drop off if the connections are not tight.

No I haven't checked that. I'll go do that!

@noiseboy72

You absolute legend 🙌 it was exactly that!

I've popped them back together and they are perfect.

I just need to straighten out the metal fascia ring now in a soft jaw vice.

I also need to know what glue to use to put it back on? Amy suggestions would be most welcome.

@noiseboy72

You absolute legend 🙌 it was exactly that!

I've popped them back together and they are perfect.

I just need to straighten out the metal fascia ring now in a soft jaw vice.

I also need to know what glue to use to put it back on? Amy suggestions would be most welcome.
Doh! Dismantled for no reason... Lesson learned I would imagine...

I would use some Evostick to reattach the ring.

Yes lesson learned. To be fair connections would be normally whT i would check first but it was such an exact cut off with just the horn tweeter not working that I just assumed.

I've been running sewel silverback connections for a few years and got out if the habit of checking connections.

Bit annoying but I'm also very released I don't need to outlay a big chunk of cash when I'm strapped. Been hankering after a better amp for ages and it was getting thinking I need to replace the best bit of my kit before anything else!

We've all been there. Sometimes the simplest thing is easy to overlook and you end up chasing your tail back around until you find it the 2nd time!

I've always like the Tannoy speakers, but I really don't have enough room to let them breathe. I love their scale and weight, but they do get boomy in a small room.

Mine seem bright- I've been told its the room though- no soft furnishings.

I personally just don't think they pair well with my amp and a chromecast.

I'm looking for a warmer amp to tone the horn tweeters downs a touch.

Currently got them on an azur 640a

PNB.. when I was decorating a mostly empty room once I rigged the hifi up for a bit of music and it sounded very bright, shrill and out of control. Once I put the curtains & pictures back up and re-introduced the furniture it all calmed down. Lots of reflective surfaces will cause problems unfortunately. Rugs, bookshelves etc will all help.
Good news on the simple fix!

Mine seem bright- I've been told its the room though- no soft furnishings.

I personally just don't think they pair well with my amp and a chromecast.

I'm looking for a warmer amp to tone the horn tweeters downs a touch.

Currently got them on an azur 640a
If you replace the speaker links with a 4 Ohm 5W resistor and apply the signal to the bass terminals only, you will get gentle reduction in HF. Some Tannoys had this essentially built in, with small screws that you could change to set the tweeter level.

A simple way of taming the treble a little!

Yeah totally. I've basically got to work with the room as we've open planned the back two rooms and put a bi-fold in with a vaulted ceiling on the extension part. Its a great room- just not a brilliant hifi space but its what I've got.

Thanks Wine man. From what I understand they have moved to online submission form as their only form of customer service.

Terrible!

I'll try that number when I get 5 mins later though- thank you.

I have just managed to get it to accept my registration and sent a form off but I'm not hopeful- there is a thread on here and someone else didn't hear back for 6 weeks using that form!

Cheers matey

I won't be buying Tannoy again!

On that note- does anyone know which manufacturer is most helpful in repairing their speakers?

Hi,

I don't suppose you ever managed to get a hold of Tannoy regarding aftersales repair? I have a pair of Reveal 601a monitors and the bass on one of them is now noticeably muted in comparison to the other. I'm thinking perhaps a replacement driver but like yourself can't seem to at all track them down.

It seems a bit unsavoury that they're still peddling their latest product lines for sale yet don't seem to offer a way for customers to repair out of date equipment. These monitors were £400 a pair, not exactly cheap to replace!

tannoy sadly are very hard to get hold of . i would try other ways to get replacements

Damn. That's disheartening to hear. I don't suppose you're aware of any companies who offer repair services on such products? This makes me wonder if the parts are even still available. :(

possibly paul coupe at RFC .

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom