1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice / Suggestions / Help required!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by samuraijack, Oct 17, 2003.

1. samuraijack

samuraijack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm looking to buy a 42" plasma TV, all in one home cinema system and connect them to an NTL box (which I don't have yet). I've read some AV mags, had a look on the forums and was thinking of a Hitachi PMA400E and a Jamo DVR50. I want the NTL box and DVD connected to the TV at all times and occasionally a PS2 and a laptop as well.

Can both NTL box and DVD be connected to the TV using component input at the same time (not sure what outputs NTL box has...)? If so, how and if not what's the alternative that will provide the best picture? How do you get sound signals from the NTL box to the DVD?

The Jamo has progressive scan for both NTSC and PAL - can the TV accept these? If not, I probably don't need the Jamo, can anyone suggest a good all in one system for under £500?

As you can no doubt tell I'm new to all this so any related advice, suggestions or pitfalls (e.g. is NTL box any good as TV source?) to avoid are much appreciated?

Cheers,

Neil

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    NTL box will have composite or RGB SCART [or if you are very lucky maybe S-video also] use RGB SCART for the best picture. Also consider the Panny 6, see this months Home Cinema Choice.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Take your time and demo! Freeveiw is the best source! Look at panny PW6 and PA20 screens Whats your reasoning for the Jamo system?

4. samuraijack

samuraijack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil and Hornydragon, thanks.

Reasoning for the Jamo is that it's had very good write ups, is (just!) within my budget and is pretty compact which is good as I don't have much space. Also it has Progressive Scan for Rgns 1 and 2 which according to the mags gives great pictures via component video links. It also has optical output which I need for recording to MD. I need it to replace a hi-fi as well (space issue again) but am happy as long as it sounds pretty good with CDs which the reviews suggest it does.

Reason for NTL is err.. really to get the Simpsons (Sky1) and pay per view footie and movies.

Will take a look at the Panasonic 6 now before doing anything else!

Cheers,

Neil

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Pany PW6 does everything you need and looks great for a wife friendly TV replacement the PA20 is worth the extra bit!

6. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does Fujitsu p42vha20 compares to the Panny 6, which one is better?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Panny vha Fujitsu is a poor screen the Hi-Def HHA is better but panny is still ahead if you want Hi-Def compatibility then a Panny Commercial Hi-Def is now availble see Liam

8. samuraijack

samuraijack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read the review of the Panasonic 6 in Home Cinema Choice and it was pretty enthusiastic to say the least!

So it has one RGB scart... and I'd need to get a Component video terminal board if I wanted to watch Prog scan pictures from a DVD player is that right? And if I went with NTL, I could connect the NTL box to the scart at the same time as the DVD is connected via component with no problems? How would you connect the PS2 - would you need another terminal board for that?

Cheers,

Neil

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you are coorect you could have the video board, S-video and Composite or get a second scart board which ever you feel is most useful to you.

10. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    NTL gives out really rubbish signals, so get it upconverted to something more sensible. I personally have a denon 3803 which upconverts to component - I am sure the guys here will have lots more suggestions (and hopefully cheaper) about upconverting video signals.

11. acollins

acollins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is there any picture quality difference between 42pw6 and 37PA20 if i was to connect a DVD via component to each of these.

12. samuraijack

samuraijack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FaxFan2002, how does this upconverting work then? How do you connect the NTL box to the receiver? I am not against going down the separates route if it provides definite advantages in terms of better picture and sound quality. If I went for a separate DVD player that had prog scan - would the receiver need to be able to cope with that as well?

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Up converting it wont do anything for the source quality that is limited by ntl! RGB is the best the box can do so use that eitehr direct to screen or via an RGB>YUV converter to use the component inputs on a screen, a deinterlacer may help eg iScan Ultra and may give a improvement in PQ over the standard ntl box alone.

14. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I disagree - upconverting does make a difference to the naked eye. Not sure of the science, but when I plug in composite to my denon amp and that gets upconverted to component (on the amp) it makes a world of difference from plugging in composite direct to the plasma!!!

The amp also handles component sources by mearly passing then thru rather than upconverting.

15. samuraijack

samuraijack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't seem to find anywhere in Glasgow to get a demo of a 42" Panasonic 6! Went to Stereo Stereo and they had a 5, which was very impressive so I'm pretty happy to go for a 6 based on that.

One thing I'm still confused about is if I go for NTL and a Jamo DVR50 one box system - how do I get sound from the NTL box? I take it is has to be connected to the Jamo in some way?

Thought I was just about ready to order a Panasonic 6 then found the thread about lip-synch delays!! Anyone have any experience of this using a Jamo DVR50?