Advice Sought Regarding LCD Purchase

jwhalley

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if I could get some advice regarding buying an LCD TV. I currently have 2 options:-

1) Buy a 40-42" LCD screen now in the region of £1000-1200

2) Buy a cheap £300 32" LCD now and wait until OLED becomes affordable and then upgrade to one of those.

I realise that a cheap screen will not be in the same league as spending £1000+ on a 40", however i have no intention of throwing £1000+ on a new TV every year so if i spend big now i would not be able to spend big again in the next 12-18 months on the next generation of TV's.

The main question is then, what is a realistic timeframe for OLED's to become affordable to the public (ie in the £1000-£1500 price range)? Are they going to be available in the next 12 or so months, or are they still a much longer way off before they become available for a non extortionate price?

Thanks for any input on this. It is greatly appreciated.

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Its eraly to talk for OLED.When they come and when they come on big sizes and when they fall in price I think it will become late.Get a good 40" now.With your budget you can get a Sony KDL-40W3000 plus a BDP-S300 blu ray player

jwhalley

Thanks for the advice. I have been thinking of the W3000, but slightly concerned with Sony's reputation with cloudiness and I'm not sure if the auro-dimming back light would annoy me. My list of possibilities are:-

Sony W3000
Samsung F86 (which i have had previously but returned as I was unhappy with the evenness of the backlight)
Toshiba XF
Phillips PFL
Panasonic PZ70(0)

Which to choose.....I hate this part.

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
I would also,also dont worry about clouding,always think positive

technoflare

Its eraly to talk for OLED.When they come and when they come on big sizes and when they fall in price I think it will become late.Get a good 40" now.With your budget you can get a Sony KDL-40W3000 plus a BDP-S300 blu ray player

where would you get a W3000 and a bluray player for £1000-1200?

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Sorry mistake...the tv alone though for £1170

jwhalley

Thanks again for the advice.

Does the W3000 comes with a glossy screen like the Samsung F86 as i wasn't a big fan of this?

As far as what i'm after the brand name doesnt bother me. Id use it for sky viewing (not HD...yet), PS3 gaming and blu-ray watching.

The main thing i am on the look for (and this may sound weird) is an evenness of backlight. Whilst the F86 i had was perfect and produced blacker than black blacks when there was ambient light, i do tend to play / watch movies in the dark. I noticed when watching movies or when games would fade to and from black that there was a slight unevenness of brightness accross the screen. I don't know why, but this bugged the hell out of me. It wasnt the fact that the whole TV wasnt perfectly black, it was that it wasnt consistent. I guess this is why OLED interests me so much.

I will look more into the W3000 as have seen it for £1169 at 1st AV which seems good. The auto-dimming feature does worry me a little, but i do need a TV and this does look like a good one.

Any more thoughts more than appreciated :D

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
The W3000 of course doesnt have glossy screen,instead brushed metal finish.auto dimming should not worry you

jwhalley

Thanks againg for your input chrisgeo. Think i may pop into a local store tomorrow and check them out first hand

Roscoepeko

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
I also thought of this but now it isnt on the site,it was though

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom