1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice sought on IScan Pro (and a few other things)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Fuchida, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Fuchida

Fuchida
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently ordered the following equipment for a home cinema setup (although it hasn't arrived yet) and I am looking for advice on whether to add an iScan Pro. I am a newbie in this area so forgive me if I provide too much information but I thought better safe than sorry.

Sony NS930VS DVD Player
    Panasonic PT-AE300 projector
    Denon 3803 AV receiver
    SkyPlus Box
    Mission M3 series speakers (2xM33, M3c2, 2xM3ds, and a subwoofer)
    Component Video leads from DVD to 3803
    Component Video leads from 3803 to projector
    S-video from Skyplus to 3803 (the receiver converts S-video to component video)
    Sub-woofer cable and reasonable speaker cable
    Draper 106" 16:9 projection screen.

The Sony DVD outputs progressive for NTSC but interlaced for PAL (and of course the vast majority of my DVDs are PAL)

I have been told the Iscan pro would make a big difference and would convert the component video input from interlaced to progressive as well as some other tidying up. Which leads me to a few questions:

If I have an iscan, is it simply a case of sending the component video output from the 3803 into the iscan and then sending the iscan output to the projector?

What lead would I need from the isacn to the projector? Looking at a picture of the back of an iscan pro, there seems to be one set of component video inputs and something that looks like a monitor output. Does it not output in component video?

Does this resolution of my projector affect the iscan pro. In other words, does it output in a particular resolution or can I set it to match my projector or have I no idea what I am talking about?

Does the iscan provide any other advantage beside the interlaced - progressive conversion?

Would it be easier to simply find a DVD player that outputs progessive PAL or does the iscan also help improve the picture from the SkyPlus box?

If I do buy an Iscan Pro, should I always output interlaced, even if I am using an NTSC DVD, or does it make no difference?

Although the 3803 converts s-video from the SkyPlus to component video, is this s-video good enough for a reasonable picture? Would I be better using a scart lead from the SkyPlus to an RGB-Component video convertor and a component video lead from the convertor to the 3803?

The 3803 supports 7.1. How much better is this than 5.1 and what speakers should I buy if I decided to upgrade to 7.1 (within the M3 series)

I have been told that I should have speaker cable the same length to each speaker. Does this make a noticeable difference or should I save my money (and space) and buy cable depending on the actual distance to each speaker

Any advice very much appreciated.

Steve

2. Fuchida

Fuchida
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I decided to swap the DVD player for a Denon DVD-2900 so that may affect the answers to my questions?

Steve

3. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    My recommendation would be to try before you buy :)

I tried a Iscan Ultra and bought it. Other may not see the point.