Advice sought on first new TV purchase in 9 years

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a new TV for the first time since 2010! I currently have a 40" Samsung (model LE40B550A5WQXU). Overall, I've been pretty happy with it for the last 8 years. Blacks aren't great on it, and it is prone to a bit of motion blur, but I've learned to live with it. At a minimum, I'm looking for a bigger TV (ideally 55") with an improvement in picture quality, black levels and motion handling.

My sources are only Freesat (Humax box) and a Minix box. The Minix can output 4K but I've never used it for that (because my current TV can't handle 4K0, so I don't have any 4K content presently. I download most films and TV series to the Minix and watch it there (via HDMI), so I can download 4K once I have something to play it on. I don't subscribe to any streaming services, and use the Humax box for iPlayer and general watching, mostly HD channels. The Minix account for 60 to 70% of my viewing time. I watch from more or less straight on, and sit between 8 and 10 feet away from the TV. I watch a very small amount of football (through an IP streaming service), but not enough to worry about. The main areas of interest are films and TV series. Content is watched day and night, but usually not in very bright conditions. At night I have a lamp turned down very low, so the room is dimly lit. I'm conscious of motion blur and soap opera effect, so keen to avoid this on a new TV.

I know an OLED TV would be the best thing to buy, but I'm struggling to justify the cost of one to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to buy a LG C9 or a Panasonic 950z, but I really find it hard to part with at least €1340 for a TV (even if it will last me another decade or so). I'm in Ireland, so all prices quoted are in Euro.

Leaving OLED to one side for now, I'm been researching more down to earth LED TVs over the last few days. With the sales on, I've narrowed the choice down to either a Samsung RU8000 55" (currently €699 from Richer Sounds) or a Panasonic 800B 58" (currently €739 from Richer Sounds). I think I'm leaning more towards the Panasonic, not least because the extra 3" is nice to have, but also because it seems to be better reviewed and recommended (I could get the 50" version for €679, but it seems not much more money for the 58"). The only real drawback I can see with it is that it's 50/60Hz rather than 100/120Hz. Should that be a deal breaker?

The price of the Panasonic is really as high as I want to go. If I was going to stretch to something like a high-end Sony for over €900, I think I'd be as well off to just break the bank and go for OLED. So, for now, €750-ish is the top end of the budget.

Is there anything better out there that I'm missing? And of the two sets I've identifed, which would you recommend? Or would I never be satisfied and should just suck it up and go for OLED?

Any help and advice gratefully received. And thanks in advance for any replies.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Kind regards,

Declan.

zeppelino

Distinguished Member

The above is considerably better than the two options listed and is a good 4K/hdr tv. Definitely worth stretching to.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
If most of your watching is 1080p I'd personally look for a second hand 65 inch plasma, something like the Panasonic vt65, theres one for sale on the classifieds now for £350. This would suit your needs and will be better than the tv's you've mentioned for most of your content.
And even if you plan on watching 4k hdr content sometimes the tv's you are looking at don't meet the minimum hdr premium specification, so won't display hdr properly.

The above is considerably better than the two options listed and is a good 4K/hdr tv. Definitely worth stretching to.
Thanks for the suggestion. I had been looking at that Sony but, to be honest, €900 is more than I want to spend right now. And if I did stretch to that, I'd rather go the whole hog and get an OLED for not much more money.

If most of your watching is 1080p I'd personally look for a second hand 65 inch plasma, something like the Panasonic vt65, theres one for sale on the classifieds now for £350. This would suit your needs and will be better than the tv's you've mentioned for most of your content.
And even if you plan on watching 4k hdr content sometimes the tv's you are looking at don't meet the minimum hdr premium specification, so won't display hdr properly.
Thanks, but I don't want to go down the second hand route at this point. Plus, the weight and sheer bulk of a plasma that size wouldn't work for me. But thanks for the suggestion.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
Thanks, but I don't want to go down the second hand route at this point. Plus, the weight and sheer bulk of a plasma that size wouldn't work for me. But thanks for the suggestion.
It would be better than your current suggestions, and cheaper hence why i recommended it, if going down the lcd route i would get the sony mentioned at the very minimum, or again see if you can get a second hand Panasonic dx902 with some warranty remaining, that beats any lcd made today apart from the Samsung q90r and above.

Dodgexander

Since you mentioned motion I'd suggest the Samsung 55RU8000 if you want better motion, comes with a 120hz panel the Panasonic lacks. If still available, the Hisense 55U8B would be more ideal.

The advice given above is already very good. By going for the Sony XF9005 you get a much better TV that will handle HDR without issues. By comparison if you view UHD shows that include HDR data on TVs that don't meet good HDR specs you can run in to trouble.

Its also true that UHD TVs will shine most with UHD content, so a new UHD TV isn't going to polish everything you send to it and make it look better. Sources that aren't great quality yet like most broadcast TV and catch-up TV isn't going to look great on a larger, UHD model. But you'll find that out once you own the TV and hopefully will be able to update to use more higher quality sources.

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the suggestion. I had been looking at that Sony but, to be honest, €900 is more than I want to spend right now. And if I did stretch to that, I'd rather go the whole hog and get an OLED for not much more money.

Oled is 50% more and certainly not worth that premium unless you’re adding a 4K player/full Netflix/Prime and adjusting your usage to be mostly hdr and 4K.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom