Advice sought on buying some land.

CyberCad

There is a plot of land (about 70 x 100 feet) immediately behind my garden which is owned by a local man. The land is landlocked. He can’t get to it or build on it, owing to subsequent development of land to the one remaining side having been built on a few years ago. I have done my research about the value of the land and it would appear to be around £6000. The value is reduced because it is landlocked. However, the man is being greedy and asking for £10,000 (having originally asked for £20,000.

There has been a claim made for adverse possession in the past and a neighbour has tried her luck by using part of the land for bonfires and placing a summer house on it. I have been unable to determine exactly where the boundary should be and have not seen a definite refusal of the claim for adverse possession.

I am reluctant to sink a lot of money in legal fees without knowing where I will get with this. Any suggestions would be welcome. I am not sure how to proceed.

booyaka

I think you've answered your own questions.

Why do you want it? What do you plan to do with it?

If there has been problems in the past, and there is no clear obvious boundaries - Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Legal cost, search costs etc sounds expensive as well.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Adverse possession requires a plot of land to be substantially fenced off to all sides, so that others are excluded from gaining entry. You can find out from the Land Registry if the request was successful, but the "owner" would not be able to sell it if they had lost control or possession of it.

If you only plan to use the land as a garden, you could ask for a restrictive covenant. This would reduce the value of the land, so he knows you are not trying to flip it at a profit (Unless you are planning to flip it for a profit...)

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
I would buy it however i would get everything looked into properly by a solicitor things like this cost money to do the right way

CyberCad

Adverse possession requires a plot of land to be substantially fenced off to all sides, so that others are excluded from gaining entry. You can find out from the Land Registry if the request was successful, but the "owner" would not be able to sell it if they had lost control or possession of it.

If you only plan to use the land as a garden, you could ask for a restrictive covenant. This would reduce the value of the land, so he knows you are not trying to flip it at a profit (Unless you are planning to flip it for a profit...)
Thank you! That is very helpful.

MSW

Distinguished Member
Adverse possession requires a plot of land to be substantially fenced off to all sides, so that others are excluded from gaining entry.

That was not true in my case.

Raised a claim via Land Registry after we had tended to the land (we turfed it and kept it cut).

Guy from Land Registry came round with his iPad and agreed it should be part of our plot (it was a huge piece of land) although we had tended the land for 12 years.

The land in question had somehow landed in the arms of some corporate building holding company who raising an objection as well but all to no avail. Took about 3 moths to sort it all out.

Last edited:

CyberCad

Raised a claim via Land Registry after we had tended to the land (we turfed it and kept it cut).

Guy from Land Registry came round with his iPad and agreed it should be part of our plot (it was a huge piece of land) although we had tended the land for 12 years.

The land in question had somehow landed in the arms of some corporate building holding company who raising an objection as well but all to no avail. Took about 3 moths to sort it all out.
Thank you! This is getting very interesting.

MSW

Distinguished Member
Thank you! This is getting very interesting.

Although, I don’t think AP as an option for you.

However, for less than £50 you can find out quite a few things yourself

CyberCad

Although, I don’t think AP as an option for you.

However, for less than £50 you can find out quite a few things yourself

Thank you very much! You are an angel.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member

Possibly Propriatorial Estoppel in that case. Adverse Possession requires an enclosure.

You can also just get a boundary redrawn where lack of physical features makes it unclear.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom