Advice Sought: Amplification Conundrum

meep

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My setup is per sig, 7.1.4 setup with base layer powered by Rotel 1585 power amp and remaining speakers running off a Marantz SR7010 receiver running essentially as a power amp.

I'm considering selling the Marantz, which leaves me with 6 speakers needing amplification. I have 2x ideas on this, and would appreciate any thoughts....

OPTION 1
Purchase 3x IOTAVX PA3 stereo amps to run 4x ceiling speakers and Arendal 1723s rear surrounds.
(or maybe 2x of the Emotiva BasX 3 channel amps

OPTION 2
Purchase Arcam SA30 to power front L&R
Utilise Rotel RMB-1585 for Centre, Side & Rear surrounds
Forego atmos for a few months until funds allow for purchase of some basic amp(s) for ceiling speakers

Option 1 is by far the most cost effective, and gets me up & running on all channels. My only concern is that the Iota PA3 would be a little underpowered for the Arendal 1723s Surrounds (100W into 4 ohms)?

Option 2 is more expensive, but allows me experiment with a 'separate' stereo system integrated with my HT, can apply Dirac as on option for stereo listening and has lots of additional features such as roon endpoint support.

Just wondering what people think of these options, or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks for reading.

Why not find a six channel power amplifier?

Rotel 1506? One on bay for £600

Well, 6 channel amps are few enough and far between, but I would consider the right one.

I'd discounted 1506 for the same reason I worry that even the PA3 100W into 4 ohms might be under-powering the 1723 surrounds.

Also, Brexit. Buying used AV from UK to Europe is now prohibitively expensive. Vendors usually cannot issue VAT receipts, are disinterested in completing customs paperwork and import duty is often calculated on the new price of the unit so it all becomes prohibitively expensive :-(

I bought a nakamichi avp1 for £350. I'll let u know how it gets on. Figure for £350, can't go wrong for 7 channels of amplification and can upgrade the front 3 to something muhc better down the line.

you have the bigger 1723 series which are 3db more efficient than the 1723S seriess so I think regardless, you are in a very good position and situation.

if buying new, why not IOTAVX AVXP1

if buying new, why not IOTAVX AVXP1
It had crossed my mind. Though the 3x pa3 units would only be 750, and I wouldn't be constantly nniggled by the spare, unused channel. But that solution would have more power overall.

Emotiva XPA Gen 3
Hmm, a bit OTT for atmos and rear surrounds methinks. Though I had a couple of gen 2 Emotiva a few years ago and liked them a lot.

Hmm, a bit OTT for atmos and rear surrounds methinks. Though I had a couple of gen 2 Emotiva a few years ago and liked them a lot.
Why is it OTT ? You said 100w was potentially underpowered and now 60w is overpowered, which is what the 11 channel is ?

My setup is per sig, 7.1.4 setup with base layer powered by Rotel 1585 power amp and remaining speakers running off a Marantz SR7010 receiver running essentially as a power amp.
this a great basis...no consideration plenty of rotel options both new and 2nd hand that possibly even leaves door open for future ? to add a Ts(VOG) or/and Ch into the mix for DTS-Xpro/Imax/auro3D all possible with your marantz av8805 ?

OPTION 2
Purchase Arcam SA30 to power front L&R
Utilise Rotel RMB-1585 for Centre, Side & Rear surrounds
Forego atmos for a few months until funds allow for purchase of some basic amp(s) for ceiling speakers

I run a couple of local but high quality multichannel amps for AV rig and complement the 2ch side with a 2ch pre -pwr... I see no reason to stray from rotel for affordable but good quality especially for ceiling surrounds ?

for 2ch and driving the L&R mains...will the SA30 be a bit of a weakling after the 200Wpc rotels ? the sa30 is still a bit of cash and still only 130wpc class G any way look at it ...

not discounting the sa30... but there are just so many options 2ch wise and would explore with your local dealers what are best suitable to drive your mains and to your tastes.... can also save up here to expand your options

i myself wouldnt necessarily look for streaming needs via integrated and look to a stand along streamer eg starting with something like the blue sound node...

thanks all for the replies.

Having considered everything here and a good deal of googling, I think I’ll go for a Rotel 1506 or maybe even a 1512 for the heights and rear surrounds.

Best value option, I think.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom