Advice, s'il vous plait

Beta_Tester

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys & Gals,

I've decided that with the full Sky HD Sub (Inc Sports & Movies) not getting any cheaper and the fact that I don't watch the movies it's time to look at alternatives for when I eventually cancel the sub.

I've read the various threads but alas' i'm not very technically minded when it comes to satellite equipment and would like some advice.

I thought of buying:

Triax TD110 1.1m Satellite Dish
Alsat DarkMotor
Inverto Quad ULTRA LNB
VU+ Duo Enigma

Now my questions would be (sorry if this is convolouted)

1.) Is that setup alright, i.e. Motor, Lnb Etc
2.) Whats the general consensus for outing sky & bringing in standalone
3.) Do I just need a ladder & patience, or someone to install
4.) Football, specifically EPL - Which card gives me MORE:thumbsup: *Cost?
5.) Any recommendations on where to buy? I'm thinking sub £1000, am I being realistic?
6.) Have I missed anything?

Of course the 'Thanks' button will be clicked for those of you that have taken the time to help.:blush:

Last edited:
You can have a crack at installing the whole thing yourself. If your not confident up a ladder though i would get the pros in. Its as if the gravity effecting the dish is multiplied once you get half way up a ladder :(

If you can locate the dish at ground level then its worth giving it a shot. I placed mine at the back of the garden under a tree, above the shed.

hisat made this vid to demo the basic motor install.

YouTube - motorised satellite tv installation guide by HISAT.

well worth trying yourself.

with your budget of £1000 you should be all up and running with a few quid left over including a 12months tring+ sub for the footy

Last edited:
Thanks buddy, I will take a look at that video.

I've already put a dish up and it works very well, just never installed a motorised one.:thumbsup:

Don't you already have a satellite dish installed for your Sky subscription? I don't think they will come and take it down when you cancel - check that before you go and buy a replacement! Freesat and the free-to-air channels are on the same satellite anyway, so you may not need to change anything.

Depending on the age of your Sky box, they might not take that away either - although as you mention it's an HD subscription, perhaps it's quite recent and they will.

Anyway...check with Sky before putting your hand in your pocket!

Thanks for the advice JOakey, unfortunately I believe I need a larger dish in order to receive a signal from the other satellites.

I'm well out of contract with Sky & I bought the HD box 2 years ago so I own that.

it might be a few months before I cancel Sky, it all depends on how the 'others' react to a different interface/package:rolleyes:

Last edited:
another option would be to keep the sky dish and box so the misisis can watch corrie and enders @ 28 degrees east with a familiar interface. You then install a second larger fixed dish with a multifeed lnb holder. In most cases 19,16 and 13 degrees east are more than enough. you need to find out exactly which sats are essential as to wether you you need a motorised dish or not.

another option would be to keep the sky dish and box so the misisis can watch corrie and enders @ 28 degrees east with a familiar interface. You then install a second larger fixed dish with a multifeed lnb holder. In most cases 19,16 and 13 degrees east are more than enough. you need to find out exactly which sats are essential as to wether you you need a motorised dish or not.

Well it's primarily going to be a replacement for the Sky but the EPL is essential to be honest, maybe i'll look into movie packages aswell so would like it as flexible as possible.

Keeping the box hooked up for Corrie etc would be a good option:thumbsup:

You naturally keep your Sky dish and receiver -they're your property from day one, and you will carry on using them for the free channels just the same as you get those now.
You say you've set up another dish so why bother with another one, why replace that with a motorised one? Whatever you currently have it pointed at it will be fine for 9, 13, and 19, which as 1080 jawbreaker says are more than enough. What others do you want that you think aren't strong enough? They're all listed at Europe - LyngSat.

Hi Logiciel,

I definately knew i'd be keeping the receiver as I paid £280 for it online from an independent as Sky wouldn't let me have one without taking the HD SUB.

I set up another dish from a cheapy £50 package just to try it out for the bedroom, unfortunately the receiver bundled with the kit has an awful GUI & looks as though it runs in 8bit .BMP for the Menus.

From reading on a dedicated satellite forum the general consensus was to have a motorised dish so you're never out of options, that's why I thought I needed one. In truth if I don't need one then that's a bonus, but if that's the case why do people bother spending sub £300 on the dish,Lnb etc if it isn't needed, sorry if i'm being a moron.

Hi. I only mentioned keeping the receiver because of post #4 which raised unnecessary doubts.

You wouldn't expect much from a receiver for that price, but what satellite have you set up the dish for, and what channels does it get? That could easily be adequate for your requirements, perhaps with a better receiver.

There are many posters on here who are keen on motorised setups, and they - especially thfccambs :D - are persuading me to go over to their side, but really theirs is more of a hobby, using technically advanced receivers, and aiming for more and more esoteric channels. For my purposes I still don't need anything more than my present setup, a dish for 28E and another for 13E and 19E, and that's the sort of thing I think would meet your purposes.

As you're planning to buy a viewing card for some European package of channels, all you'll need for that is a fixed dish aligned on whatever satellite carries that package. You can easily find which cards are available for purchase in the UK, or direct from the relevant countries, and when you decide which to go for you'll know which satellite you'll need. So, my recommendation is to start there - by making your Google search for the card, using thfccambs' links :D, and taking in the details of what other posters do about theirs.

Last edited:
but the EPL is essential to be honest

My advice is look at motorised set up, if your looking at getting EPL motorised would be the best option.
Packages seem to change each season with tring (16e £240ish need conax cam though to keep upto date) being the best value at the moment, far from best quality though.
Viasat 4.2e and TVPLHD 1w also both excellent but very expensine, £1k+ a year.
There also showing FTA EPL games in HD on 10e as well as CL games FTA 7e.

Here's an excellent link to see which sats show what football mate.
*** L.J.s LIVE Sport on Satellite TV. Live Soccer on TV. Live Football on Saetllite TV.

Helpful thread here also for FTA sports
http://www.avforums.com/forums/satellite-tv/1347618-fta-sports-thread.html

Last edited:
Hi. I only mentioned keeping the receiver because of post #4 which raised unnecessary doubts.

You wouldn't expect much from a receiver for that price, but what satellite have you set up the dish for, and what channels does it get? That could easily be adequate for your requirements, perhaps with a better receiver.

There are many posters on here who are keen on motorised setups, and they - especially thfccambs :D - are persuading me to go over to their side, but really theirs is more of a hobby, using technically advanced receivers, and aiming for more and more esoteric channels. For my purposes I still don't need anything more than the setup I have now, a dish for 28E and another for 13E and 19E, and that's the sort of thing that I think would meet your requirements.

As you're planning to buy a viewing card for some European package of channels, all you'll need for that is a fixed dish aligned on whatever satellite carries that package. You can easily find which cards are available for purchase in the UK, or direct from the relevant countries, and when you decide which to go for you'll know which satellite you'll need. So, my recommendation is to start there - by making your Google search for the card, using thfccambs' links :D, and taking in the details of what other posters do about theirs.

Thanks for taking the time out to explain things a little more logiciel, it really is appreciated.

The dish is pointed at 28.2/28.5 Astra, it picks up loads of channels, movies4men etc.

I'm thinking of having the VU Duo downstairs & then buying a Humax Foxsat for the bedroom.

More research will need to be done, I thought I calculated it all in my head but I may be out of my depth, I do love a challenge though:thumbsup:

My advice is look at motorised set up, if your looking at getting EPL motorised would be the best option.
Packages seem to change each season with tring (16e £240ish need conax cam though to keep upto date) being the best value at the moment, far from best quality though.
Viasat 4.2e and TVPLHD 1w also both excellent but very expensine, £1k+ a year.
There also showing FTA EPL games in HD on 10e as well as CL games FTA 7e.

Here's an excellent link to see which sats show what football mate.
*** L.J.s LIVE Sport on Satellite TV. Live Soccer on TV. Live Football on Saetllite TV.

Helpful thread here also for FTA sports
http://www.avforums.com/forums/satellite-tv/1347618-fta-sports-thread.html

Ah ha! The famous Mr. thfccambs, i've read so many of your posts in this section I feel as though we're neighbours:thumbsup:

I think motorised is the way to go, the individual components I listed would suffice I take it?

Thanks

That's OK, and as you already have 28 on your Sky dish try pointing the new one at 19E - that should be equally strong - and see what you like from there.

That's OK, and as you already have 28 on your Sky dish try pointing the new one at 19E - that should be equally strong - and see what you like from there.

Thanks i'll give it a try tomorrow as for now the researching of the new equipments/cards have driven me to load up Black Ops:blush:

Ah ha! The famous Mr. thfccambs, i've read so many of your posts in this section I feel as though we're neighbours:thumbsup:

I think motorised is the way to go, the individual components I listed would suffice I take it?

Thanks

:blush: :laugh:
Triax TD110 1.1m Satellite Dish
Alsat DarkMotor
Inverto Quad ULTRA LNB
VU+ Duo Enigma

I'll leave most of the above to the experts but the VU+ Duo
is a great twin tuner box. Was you looking at keeping the sky box
for FTV channels? As it really wouldn't be needed.
You could set up both motoried and fixed dish onto VU+ Duo.
Get shot of the sky box then.:thumbsup:

Think Pedro may be worth dropping him a PM on motor and LNB.:thumbsup:

The V+DUO is a linuxs based sat box and can do much more then watch TV.
Well worth having a good read up on it.:thumbsup:

Like logi says for most of us this is a hobby and there's plenty on here that will help you mate.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks for that mate, it is very much appreciated.

I've done alot of reading on the Vu Duo box and i'm thoroughly impressed by what i've read, I had contemplated the Dreambox 8000HD but it seemed with the cost between the two it wouldn't be beneficial for me.

I'm thinking of keeping the Sky HD going until everyone becomes more familiar with the Vu Duo, hopefully not too long.. I'm going to take a look on the 'net to see what the GUI is like, hopefully it's nice and slick.

OK - I'll be interested to see your reasoning behind that receiver, and the motorisation - they might even add to the pressure that's on me in that direction though I must say I've seen nothing here as yet to lessen my resistance. :D

OK - I'll be interested to see your reasoning behind that receiver, and the motorisation - they might even add to the pressure that's on me in that direction though I must say I've seen nothing here as yet to lessen my resistance. :D

To be honest my friend the only reasoning I can put forward is the ability to move the dish to any of the satellites that are available on the 'arc' without me having to get up the ladders to do it manually.

Maybe I misunderstand the whole motorised pro's and I could get away with the dish I have up. This is a present to myself and to appease the whole family, i've justified it to them just as I did with the 3D TV, Ipad, Iphone, i7 rig - haha;)

II thought buying this box with the motorised dish and then adding the Humax Foxsat upstairs would be the best compromise.

I know what will happen, i'll spend all this money and still have Sky as the others won't get used to it, but for £1000 i'm not too fussed either way.:rolleyes:

Everyone goes on about get LNB set at 13e 19e and your be fine, sorry i disagree.
With motorised your have everything, especially if your after football. Best sats for football ATM are 16e
1w and 4.8e which no one seems to mention.
If you could easily set up 5/6 LNBs then i may come around to that way of thinking
as zapping channel would be instant. As i don't think it will be that easy to set up i'm quite
happy with waiting 30 seconds for my dish to move.

From reading your only use the motorised dish when football on anyway so
won't be a major problem waiting for dish to move. :thumbsup:

Thanks thfccambs, you are indeed a Guru and your help along with the other guys is much appreciated.

Now to find a site that sells them all and work out the costing :)

Thanks thfccambs, you are indeed a Guru and your help along with the other guys is much appreciated.

Now to find a site that sells them all and work out the costing :)

I used Sat-Shop.co.uk - Sat-Shop.co.uk Online Satellite and Electronics Store from Lavatronics, the owners a member on here also.
Was very helpful when i brought my tring plus card also.

Quick email replies and on line support.

It's a hobby for me mate as well as many others, theres some very knowledgeable members on here that will be more then happy to help you. :thumbsup:

I used Sat-Shop.co.uk - Sat-Shop.co.uk Online Satellite and Electronics Store from Lavatronics, the owners a member on here also.
Was very helpful when i brought my tring plus card also.

Quick email replies and on line support.

It's a hobby for me mate as well as many others, theres some very knowledgeable members on here that will be more then happy to help you. :thumbsup:

Thanks again mate, i'll take a look at the site.

I find this forum to be the most helpful to be honest, full of members like yourself that have been there and done it, experience that is invaluable to people like me who buy things and then wonder how it's all supposed to work, haha.:thumbsup:

i'm quite
happy with waiting 30 seconds for my dish to move.

.... :thumbsup:

30 seconds? .. .that's 75 degrees or possibly 90 on the latest + 20% fast Darkmotors ..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom