1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Required

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by aarons, Sep 26, 2003.

1. aarons

aarons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a 3801running in 7.1 mordant short 900s frontstage and sonace ceiling speakers for surround.my local dealer has for sale a marantz 9000 thx 5 channel amp.i was wondering if it would be worth partnering this amp with my denon and would it still be possible to run a 7.1 system

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +859
    Not heard the Marantz amp but you can certainly still run a 7.1 system. Use the Marantz for the five main channels and the Denon for the surround back channels. You could use other combinations as well (Denon front left & right etc etc). :)

3. aarons

aarons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to understand properly.i know the 3801 does not state thx ex for 7.1 but is it almost the same

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +859
    Almost. It uses matrix processing to achieve similar results. Because it's not a THX certified receiver it can't have THX Surround EX. At the time the licensing agreement wasn't sorted out with Dolby either so they couldn't call it Dolby 5.1EX (hence it being called 6.1 Surround on the amp display).

5. aarons

aarons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so is an upgrade totally worth it toying with the idea of either this or going the whole hog and buying a1sr or a11sr like the idea of component switching with a1sr got to try and get it right because dont want to spending again in the near future

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +859
    You really need to demo the equipment you are thinking of (if possible). I went from the Denon 3801 to the A1SE and then had that upgraded to almost A1SR specs (new digital board, DAC's, Dual Sharc Processors, THX Ultra 2 etc etc) and there was a noticeable jump in performance each time.

Certainly recommend the A1SR as the pre-amp stage and amplification is far superior to the 3801.

7. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    is that the mm9000? how much do they want?

8. aarons

aarons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes £500

9. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The MM9000 is a 5 x 140 Watt THX approved power amplifier (see link below) if I remember correctly it has variable input level and this is where it becomes an interesting prospect. You can partner this with your 3801 and adjust the gain to match and Bi-Amplify 5 of the channels :smashin: :smashin: (assuming your speakers can do this), this should sound pretty spectacular :eek: , you still have the back 2 channels direct from the Dennon for 7.1.:clap:

£500 is pretty good I have not seen these go for less than £600 and £799 was the original retail.

http://www.marantz.com/pdfs/u_amp_mm9000_bck.pdf

10. aarons

aarons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for replies.just found out that they have the partnering reciever also both for £1200 good price or not (still only 5.1) would it be possible to add my denon to these two just for the centre rear channels and would it be a better upgrade than the a1sr for the price

11. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +859
    That's where it starts to get complicated. As the Marantz doesn't have EX/ES decoding you would have to use the 3801's processing. You'll then have to have the Marantz pre-amp connected to the EXT Decoder Inputs of the Denon to gain any benefit from it and then the 5ch power amp connected to the Denon pre-outs.

To be honest it's probably a lot easier to just go for the A1SR and I would imagine you'll get better performance (but you'll have to decide that!).

12. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If it was me I would go for the MM9000, and Bi Amplify all the channels you can with the Dennon, just run the speakers direct from the 9000 if you can not, then when you next want to upgrade go for a processor keeping the power amp (you will need to get two more channels of power for 7.1), but that is just me.

You need to listen to the combos and go for the one you think sounds best to you or is the best value for money.