Advice required

Pieeater

A colleague has identified the following cameras as of being an interest to him: Nikon D80, Canon 450D and Canon 40D.

Are there any direct comparisons on the web?

Are the D80 and 40D more alike and should he bin the idea of the 450D?

Do any have particularly good kit lenses?

This guy is keen but I am not sure of the the type of shots he wants to take.

Sorry this brief is not narrower, but I would appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

kendoll

Novice Member
A colleague has identified the following cameras as of being an interest to him: Nikon D80, Canon 450D and Canon 40D.

Are there any direct comparisons on the web?

Are the D80 and 40D more alike and should he bin the idea of the 450D?

Do any have particularly good kit lenses?

This guy is keen but I am not sure of the the type of shots he wants to take.

Sorry this brief is not narrower, but I would appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers
www.dpreview.com is a good place to start. They have an in-depth review of both the D80 and 40D as well as a preview review of the 450D.

Bristol Pete

Novice Member
The 80D is ebbing towards the end of its shelf life and whilst its a great camera, the processor is not 'that' good at high ISO. The D90, which may be announced next month may have the expeed processor for faster focusing, better colours and low light work. However, the D80 is a valid buy.

The 40D is a 'prosumer' machine. 6.5 fps over the 3 of the D80. Better build, 'some' weather shielding and live view. Digic 3 processor from canon, good in low light. Overall, for the money a great camera.

Finally, the 450D is lovely. Digic 3 again, contrast based live view focusing, fast to focus. Small in the hand, but looks and feels great but is slightly over priced. The new IS 18-55 is better than the 400D kit lens.

Personally, I would take the 40D from the 3.

Hope this helps.

Pete.

Pieeater

Thanks for the link Ken and your thoughts Pete; they are both good starting points.

kendoll

Novice Member
Also, not sure if it would be an issue but the 40D (at 740g) is nearly half again as heavy as the 450D (at 475g), while the D80 is in between (at 585g) - all of these are without lens or batteries.

Also there is an in-depth review of the 450D here (as posted by loz in another thread). :smashin:

EDIT: fixed link

DJC013

I am lucky to have recently received a Canon 40D, that gets my vote from the 3 choices ! Regards Damian. :thumbsup: