Advice required

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by bobones, Dec 18, 2002.

1. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Now that I've been let down by QED-UK on my LG PZ14 order I'm thinking what my alternatives are. I'd appreciate some advice.

I've just seen a MXE in action and I was mightly impressed, even with s-video. I don't have any form of digital tv, only analogue and I intend to use my vcr (composite scart out) as a tv tuner. My dvd is a tosh 210 which has (non-progressive) component out. For sound I have a Yamaha E800 processor.

Can I connect my equipment to the Pioneer without additional connection boxes? What cables do I need? Is the picture with analogue going to be really dreadful? Are there any cheap teletext solutions?

How does one go about wall mounting these things on a hollow plasterboard wall? What do you do with cables?

Finally, who should I buy from? I live in Glasgow.

Thanks.

2. codlord

codlord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Good choice - the 433. Lots of delighted owners around.

You won't need any boxes, but you will need a scart to composite (RCA) cable. Presumably the VCR does not have s-video out?

The component on the 433 is BNC so you'll need 3 BNC to RCA adapters - cost a few pounds. No problem.

The picture with analogue will be as good as the source. If your TV pictures are good now they'll be good on the 433. I get good analogue reception on BBC1, 2 and channel 4 and often prefer to watch them via the aerial than on sky digital. ITV and 5 are usually dodgy.

No comment on hanging it on a plasterboard wall - I ducked that one.

As to where to buy one - Joe Fernand is local to you (ish), and can't be beaten on service - www.tmfsolutions.co.uk. This is the second plug I've given him in two days - must be worth a discount on that new board for my 433 next year;)

4. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the replies guys - very helpful.

Regarding the vcr, it's old and unfortunately doesn't have s-video out or even rca composite out. I guess Maplins will sell a cheap scart -> rca cable.

For component cables, is there any particular brand to buy? Would 3 standard 75ohm rca video cables with bnc adapters suffice? (I am a cheapskate when it comes to cables and I haven't suffered yet)

Finally I was thinking of using the Media Factory as a supplier as Joe's posts on here are very helpful and knowledgable. Wonder if he discounts avforums users?:)

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,333
    Bobones

One of the common pieces of feedback we get from MXE owners is that they are very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the display when its working with Composite and S-Video signals.

As an alternative to using your VCR tuner you may want to consider the new Nokia Media Master 221T FTA box (£150ish)- assuming you have FTA coverage in your area - this Nokia box has a pretty good RGB out and will outperform most VCR's.

With your existing kit list all you require are a couple of cables with BNC connectors at the plasma end (see philipb's post) - if you went down the FTA box with RGB out you may also require an RGB to Plasma interface.

I've been trying to track down a low cost Teletext solution for a couple of customers - still not found the illusive black box as yet!

Hanging the display on your wall is a job for a joiner/builder if you are not Mr DIY.

If you are wall mounting the display its neat if you can also channel your cables down the wall and out at skirting board level.

Best regards

Joe

PS philipb - a quid off for every mention (spectre will have kittens); seriously though many thanks for your mentions.

6. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Only 1958 more mentions and I get it for free;) (BTW Joe, could you send me that paperwork, sorry to be a pest)

You should be able to pick up a pretty good component cable for about £15. £30 would get you an even better one. I have to say that I recently upgraded my component lead - cost £70 for 2 metres and the improvement was marked. It would be a shame to hobble a great plasma like the 433 with dodgy cabling.

7. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used AVerMedia JoyTV with reasonable success. Teletext shows only in monochrome on the composite output, but using VGA seems fine. I see they have a new box, the AVerTV Box3. Might be better.