1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice required...

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by achoudry, Jun 11, 2005.

1. achoudry

achoudry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +415
    good afternoon everyone...i have been on this forum for a few days reading up on various threads about LCD tv's

myself and my fiance are in the process of buying an apartment and are therefore looking to get it kitted out...one of the MUST haves is a nice LCD tv/tv's...

one for the main living area...which needs to be approx 30/32"...and one for the bedroom...maybe around 17-20"...the second not being as important...but if there is a deal going on might as well get both at the same time!

i was wondering whether peeps here could recommend any particular makes and models...the missus wants either sony or panasonic...saying that they are the best...but my thoughts are that since the introduction of LCD tv's, they don't necessarily make the number one tv's that they might have made before plasma & lcd...is there a particular make that is way ahead of others? i've seen so many nice ones by sony, philips, panasonic, samsung etc...not sure if there is one that shines above the rest?!

i want something that will be HD compatible...ideally a HDMI interface...as a second option, DVI...something with a good refresh rate and additional picture enhancers for the standard definition broadcasts we have at the moment!

also ideally a tv that not only looks slick but has well thought out interfaces/inputs as i would want to get this connected up to a hifi/dvd etc to play movies/games through...

i am looking to spend as close to 1000 GBP for the 30/32" as possible but will pay more if there is a tv that is highly recommended and worth paying the extra for...

as a bonus any recommendations on a smaller screen LCD would also be appreciated...the interface/inputs of this wouldn't be AS important as the main tv as this will be connected to the second PS2 we have and mainly used to watch tv/dvd's in bed...

any help/advice will be much appreciated...thanks!

2. achoudry

achoudry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +415
    anyone? just throw me some model numbers perhaps...i can do the research if no one can be arsed helping me by writing out detailed advice/personal experiences!

3. moonhead

moonhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hitachi 32LD7200 - fairly new model , for you 32" requirements. Has HDMI/DVI, and costs around £1200 street price. See the various threads about it on this board.

4. minty_fresh

minty_fresh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the panasonic viera range is excellent for the larger set sizes although they are a tad expensive. fantastic picture though.

5. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +513
    The reason why there are not a lot of replies to your query is because a lot of people are holding out for the new ranges of tv's that will be around late summer/early autumn. Much of the stuff in dealers at present is old stock most of which do not meet your HD spec (Not HDTV Ready). There are bargains to be had if you don't mind this. Otherwise you will have to wait for all the big names to announce their new models, specifications and, most all the prices. The signs are that the next generation of LCD sets will be a great improvement on the older ones, have 16:9 screens and will be probably be a lot cheaper. If you buy now you might regret it later.

6. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    As mike7 says, there's plenty of new models coming out over the rest of the year. If you need one soon, the Hitachi 32LD7200 is head and shoulders above everything else at the moment for picture, connections, HD compatibility, price...

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Hitachi is certainly a grand TV but it is certainly not head and shoulders above everything else! That's a bit of a sweeping statement!

Certainly Panasonic and Sony have been very slow to come to the market with anything particularly interesting or competent and have entirely missed the boat with HDTV compatability. Their new ranges will answer this, but I have no reason to expect anything particularly brilliant from either of them. Time will tell...

Unfortunately for you, the current LCD King is considerably above your budget limitations. The Philips 32PF9986 is still demanding upwards of £1800 but still seems to be holding onto the crown despite this. Admittedly its connectivity is inferior to many more recent models, which leads me, quite neatly, to why many people are waiting for the new influx of TV's.

The 9986 is HD Ready, but the new Philips 9830 is much better connected and expectations are high for this new TV. It has many features that should separate it from 'The Rest' and I have no reason to believe that it won't be class leader again later in the Summer. Deliveries of the 9830 are expected within the Month. It will eventually sttle at around the £1600 mark....is it going to be too dear?

At the other end of the spectrum there are hoards of less expensive LCD's becoming available from various sources...just scan this forum.....They can perform well for the money.

To summarise. If you were choosing right now and wish to stay near your budget then go with the Hitachi or perhaps Philips 32PF9976. But if you want the very best, I suggest you wait for a week or three....

Jimmy

8. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I think that at the moment, in terms of the whole package, it's the best choice by far. It's got about as much connectivity as you can expect- DVI (HDCP), HDMI, component etc etc., it's a reasonable price, and the pic quality is right up there with the best. To be perfectly honest, I'm not seeing much difference in pic quality between the hitachi and the philips 9986.

The philips ambilight is nice though!

I stand by what I said, if you had to go and buy the best LCD on the market tomorrow (taking value for money into account), it would have to be the Hitachi.

9. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yup, hard to disagree....

Jimmy

10. swanny78

swanny78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Hitachi all the way. Buy one. Not my words - whay home cimemas...97% highest score for any TV of any type. Just got to find somewhere who has got it in stock.

11. busterdan

busterdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi mate... presumably you have read the Samsung thread...seems like his and hers matching Sammy's would do the trick nicely :)