Advice required...upgrade from Yamaha rx-v1700

gt03raf

Standard Member
I have a yamaha rx-v1700 that i'm looking to upgrade, mainly beacuse i want to reduce the number of cables by having more hdmi inputs and hd audio formats
i'll be connecting, sky hd, ps3, samsung dvr, xbox and a wii.
I have a full anthony gallo micro set-up with the anthony gallo subwoofer.

all routed through to a samsung plasma (which also soon to be changed!)

any recommendations?
:lease:

I like the look of the pioneer vsx-1019 but thought i'd gather everyones views first....

Andy

jimborae

I have a yamaha rx-v1700 that i'm looking to upgrade, mainly beacuse i want to reduce the number of cables by having more hdmi inputs and hd audio formats
i'll be connecting, sky hd, ps3, samsung dvr, xbox and a wii.
I have a full anthony gallo micro set-up with the anthony gallo subwoofer.

all routed through to a samsung plasma (which also soon to be changed!)

any recommendations?
:lease:

I like the look of the pioneer vsx-1019 but thought i'd gather everyones views first....

Andy

You could of course save alot of money and not upgrade at all, just buy an hdmi switcher and allow the PS3 to do the HD sound decoding. Thats what I do with my RX-V1600 :thumbsup:

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
The PS3 decodes HD audio and sends it as LPCM, so an amp that doesn't decode bitstream HD audio isn't a problem. Also, fortunately the PS3 forces 24fps which the amp then passes through to a 24fps compatable TV. Blueray players that don't force 24fps, have a problem with the 1700 as it won't pass it through at 24fps.

So basically, as has been said, a HDMI switcher, and, if you ever get a stand-alone BR player, get one that forces 24fps and decodes all HD audio formats, and you're good to go. Unless of course, you just fancy a new amp :D

Tonally the Pionner amps will be totally different to your Yamaha -- Yammys are warm sounding and Pionner bright. Changing to a Pionner may need a corresponding change of speakers --- not sure where yours sit in regard to tonal sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom