Advice Required Samsung TV/HT Setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by m4ttc, Jan 7, 2012.

1. m4ttc

m4ttc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anyone offer any advice before I setup. I have a Samsung UE40D7000 tv , Sky HD+, PS3 and have now Bought a HT D5100 home theatre. I bought this because it was small as I have no space whatsoever for decent sized speakers close to the TV.
    Can anyone offer any advice on the best combination of setting the various inputs etc

Thanks in advance.

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    As far as I can tell, the HT-D5100 only has a single analogue audio input. Therefore to be honest, it isn't really suitable.

Your TV doesn't have an analogue audio output but probably has SCART. You would need a switchable SCART adapter plus red/white phono cable. The switch would need to be set to out. Alternatively you could use a SCART to phono cable (not the other way around, although some have a switch). The TV headphone socket could be used but the audio would be poor (3.5mm to phono cable).

I'm afraid my best advice would be to return the home cinema system and look for a system that has an optical input for Sky and HDMI audio capability for the PS3. Sky only outputs stereo over HDMI so needs a dedicated optical input i.e. you can't route the audio via the TV unless you compromise and use dolby pro logic ii. A system with a couple of optical inputs would be the way to go. Personally I would look at something like the Onkyo HTX-22HDX (plus centre and rear speaker) or the Onkyo HTS-5405 or similar from Denon or Yamaha.

3. m4ttc

m4ttc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I am a bit of a novice here. I didn't go for the AV option as space rather than budget was the issue.
    If I didn't bother with the PS3 as I only used it for Bluray would it work ok?
    Could I use a digital optical splitter?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  4. m4ttc

m4ttc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or some sort of optical switch?

5. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    If the home cinema system has an optical input, then yes a switch would be fine. I thought it didn't have an optical input but it appears it does. Keep the optical cables as short as possible. I recommend the Fisual Pro. Audiovisualonline stock them. They're assured advertisers and should be able to sort you out with the switch too.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  6. m4ttc

m4ttc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate.
    Yes it does have optical in and 1 HDMI in.

The TV has ARC as well

I can sacrifice surround sound from the PS3 if need be as I don't really use it that much

I will get an optical switch as required but can you recommend a set up without one. ?
    Thanks for your help again

7. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    See my earlier post.