1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice required re Yamaha RXV-2400, please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Sigismund, Oct 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Received my new Yammy 2400 yesterday. Wasn't too pleased that the speaker connections aren't banana plug friendly - it's been years since I used "screw threads"! Anyway, I went through the Auto Setup with mic attached etc., and my rear speaker was detected and everything was set. However, try as I might I could not get LOTR Fellowship to play in Dolby Digital EX - even though it played in dts-es. I tried The Alamo, which has dd-ex... no problems! I was getting really cheesed off :mad: which is not like me. Eventually I had no choice but to read the manual... and learned nothing new! Except, I did read something about the rear back speaker not working if it was set to none (duh!). It also states that some dd-ex discs may not be detected as such so the Yammy should be manually set to decode them in this instance by, and I quote, "When playing these kinds of discs with 6.1 channel, select"ON"."

Great advice... but how? I pressed the EX button continuously... nothing! Eventually, I went into Manual Setup... and the rear speaker was set to None! So, even though I'd gone through Auto Setup, and had sound coming from the rear speaker, I had to manually change the speaker setting so that the unit wasn't "confused"!

So my post here is for two reasons - to see if this type of "quirk" is normal... and to advise other people as "nooby" as myself to check those settings! :D

Sigs

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even with my Z9 i never trust the autosetup, so i manually setup all my speakers but i do find that R2 discs never seem to play EX or ES i have to manually select them whereas R1 no problem.

Never trust a computer ;)

John :)

3. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    But other then that do you like it? or is it to early to say? i only ask as i received mine on monday but can`t set it up till tomorrow when me plasma arrives, i have read others having small problems when using the auto setup like setting the crossover to 100 instead of 80 but they advise just to have a look to see if it`s been set right

4. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    recruit - You mean even Z9s require human input? Don't know why you pay the money :D

Hi Andy :)

I do really like the sound the Yammy produces, it's detailed yet not too "electronic"-sounding. Auto setup has set sub level crossover to 110... which I suspect is too high, but I don't think it's necessary to stick to 80Hz unless you have a complete THX setup (which I don't).

The nice thing is that it did warn me of me having connected my front speakers out of phase :eek: But, I would have noticed as soon as I checked with a THX Optimizer disc anyway... but it was nice that, having checked just to make sure, that the receiver got it right!

I watched The Day After Tomorrow last night and the Yammy gets a :thumbsup: from me. It's powerful enough for my needs and has the ability to sound spacious and full - so that sounds seem to be placed all around my room... and don't just seem to emanate from the speakers themselves.

I think it also handles music reasonably well! All in all I'm a happy chappie :D

I'd be interested to know how you get on with setting yours up when your plasma arrives... I was pulling my hair out last night!!

Mark

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    You can put plugs in although I warn you it feels a little unatural. Take the plug and press firmly on the end of the terminal and there will be a small "crack" as the little plastic guard gives way and allows the plug in- its a Euro safety feature :suicide:.

Auto calibration is great- up to a point. I've only ever used it as a guide before whipping the SPL and the MS laptop out and doing it properly :).

6. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cheers for the pointers Tof, thought you could use plugs but didn`t want to say just in case i was wrong, Mark i`ll let you know how i go on might be tomorrow night or friday though depending on how easy (or not) everything goes lol

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ton's do you know if you can use the software editor to calibrate the Z9 as they do in the US version RXZ9 from a laptop?

8. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Sorry I've got no idea. The laptop I was referring to is one that contains a bespoke piece of software we use for room tuning and calibration. It completely outgunned the MCACC on my Pioneer AX3. When I used the Yamaha system, I thought it was more accurare but got into a snit if everything wasn't "just so" on the settings beforehand. I will be interested to see how the Marantz calibration works when an SR8500 turns up.

I probably wouldn't say no to a Z9 when it boils down to it though :laugh:

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the US version has got a facility of a software Editor where basically you can tune everything from your laptop. the US get all the gadgets 1st not fair :(
    I must say though the GUI on the Z9 is more or less the same ;)

10. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I got my 1400 (which is identical in setup to the 2400) setup (wiring and tweaking the menus) in about an hour.

I used the auto setup to begin with then tweaked it with DVE and a SPL meter. Auto setup set my cross over to 150Hz or some crazy level, and set my front speakers which are whafedale evo 8s to large (should be small really). The gain for some of the speakers was a little off, but the distances that it set where correct - yes I was sad enough to check it with a tape measure.

I found the menu system painful to work with, even with the OSD.

11. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    ok got it all setup last night didn`t get finished till gone 11, need a little help now please how the heck to i get the osd on to me tele?, how do i check to see what the auto setup set everything up as? cheers guys

12. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    plug either the composite, s-video, or component output (labeled monitor on the amp) into a suitable socket on your TV and switch to that AV channel. Then go into the menu on the amp. If its still not on the screen then its possible that the OSD has been turned off, the option to turn it back on is one of the first options when you press menu.

13. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cheers Brian, if (not checked yet) the setup as set my speakers Evo 3B to large is that ok or should they be small?

14. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think you might of covered this, but press AMP and then the bottom right button (EX/ES) Press it twice and it will go to EX and ES. Sometimes you need to press left or right on the directional pad too.

15. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Something else i`ve noticed whilst testing some dvd's today is on some i get like sound pauses or drops for a about a second now and again anyone know what this is all about :( thanks

16. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    What formats is this with?

17. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Not sure as to what you mean by formats

18. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    :) I meant cd, dvd (DD or DTS), tuner, etc.

19. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Sorry m8, it was on dvd and it don`t matter if it's in dts or DD :(

20. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Just noticed that on the front panel that the optimizer text is still lite is anyone else's still on after you've run the auto setup? cheers

21. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Please guys really need help here tried to watch Sum of all fears last night and the sound pauses were doing my head in :( it like the optimizer hasn`t finished or something so if you could have a look on the front display panel to see if your yam is displaying the red optimizer text would appreciate it, cheers

22. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy i know this is a silly question but you have unplugged the microphone haven't you?

23. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Not a silly question john always worth asking newbies these things but yeah the mic is unpluged i even ran the auot setup again to see if i had missed something like how to save and exit which isn`t really all that clear i mean what is the correct way to save and exit after the auto setup as finished just power down the amp and remove the mic?? see real newbie here lol

24. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy,

You know when it has been optimised when it says that on screen the only other thing i could think of doing would be a system reset and start over again, i have the Z9 and even though the auto setup is good i do all the inputs manually as i prefer to do it that way then i know it's 100% correct.

25. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi.

When the amp has finished its pops and whistles you press the DOWN arrow on the remote (the one under the flap) which shoould take you back to the AUTO SETUP/MANUAL SETUP screen. I then press the UP arrow which takes me back to the screen telling me what soundmode the amp is in... ie out of AUTO SETUP.

EDIT - The amp doesn't actually inform you that it's finished ;)

Sigs

26. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    ok i`ll give that a shot now whilst all is quite in my house lol, do you know if there is a system reset switch , button or setting somewhere i have to use to restset it back to default?

27. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cheers sigs, do you get the red optimizer text in the front panel display?

28. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,459
    got a 2400 - was under the impression that the OPTIMIZE thing is displayed to show that you have run the auto set up and you amp is optimized

think it says that in manual but only 2 days in I have mispalced mine

29. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I need to redo mine, so if you give me a couple of minutes (read persuade my wife and daughter to go upstairs :D ) we can go through the setup together, if you want?

30. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is correct what Sig has told you, sorry i have not used that function for so long.
    I'll let the expert guide you before i confuse things :confused: