Advice required re. adding speakers to a television

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Cantona2003, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Cantona2003

Cantona2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a new television arriving on Thursday (LG 28" widescreen), and would like to add speakers to it for a surround sound effect.

However, I am new to the 'home cinema world', and I am really not sure which speakers I need to buy, and indeed how they would connect to my television.

Am I right in thinking that I would need a 'phono to phono' lead to connect the speakers to the television? If so, do I only need to buy a short lead for the speaker that would be nearest to the television (of course, not too near due to the magnetic field), as I would like to put the other speaker at the other side of the room.

I have seen some in Argos, but they seem to be Dolby Digital 5.1 ones, but I don't have a Dolby Digital 5.1 DVD player, it only says 'dts' and 'dolby digital' on it.

Can someone please advise me?

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you buy a Pro-Logic TV? (with speaker outputs) if so you can buy a small set of passive speakers and connect to the TV.

Another alternative is buying a active set of speakers (ie like PC speakers), but with DD/DTS 5.1 decoding.

Sure someone will recommend a active set.

Or go down AV amp/5.1 system, but talking more money

3. lespaton

lespaton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The majority of TV's which enable external outputs for the left/right stereo signal have phono outputs which feed a low voltage signal to an external amplifier and then on to your speakers. That is, the output from the TV will not feed a speaker direct. Some TV's have spring connectors suitable for feeding speakers direct, they are in the minority and you would have to check your TV to assure yourself which case applied. Some TV's have a built-in onboard Dolby Digital (and occasionly DTS) decoder which, again, will have a variety of methods of connecting the speakers. Bottom line is, you need to check your TV and seek advice based on the specific function and connectors which are onboard.
    Your DVD player will play DD/DTS disks but you need a decoder to unscramble the encoded signal. This is sometimes done onboard the DVD with a 5.1 (6 phono connectors) output to an external amp. Most often you have to feed a digital signal (co-ax or optical) to an external processor/amp. Again, seek advice based on specifics.

4. Cantona2003

Cantona2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that mate - very useful info.

5. Cantona2003

Cantona2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found these - are they ok?

Am I right in thinking that I only need to connect the subwoofer/decoder to the tv with a phono to phono lead?

6. Cantona2003

Cantona2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone help?

7. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It should work, but you certainly won't get 5.1 sound from it unless you get a DVD player. Stereo sound or Dolby pro-logic will be the best you get from it connected to the TV is my guess.

8. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure what your budget is. But There's a lot of all in one sets. Where you get decoder,DVDplayer and boxes in one set.
    These are minimum requirements if you want to enjoy 5.1 sound.