1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Required Please.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MrFurious, Aug 3, 2003.

1. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,492
    i have ordered a new dvd/amp combi which featurtes a doby digital and dts decoder,now i need to know if dts is a better sound system to dd5.1,also i always thought for dts i had to have 6 speakers??so now i can buy the dvds with the dts band across the top of the box?

2. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    DD vs DTS has been discussed at length many times. A quick serach for it will likely throw up a dozen threads.

The short answer is that a good DD track will sound better than a poor DTS one, and vice-versa. So basically the answer you'relooking for is "depends" :D

And DTS movies also include a DD soundtrack, so you can still buy them regardless of whether you can actually decode the DTS track or not.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    DD vs DTS is very much down to personal opinion. In theory DTS is better as it has a lower compression, but in practice it does not always follow!
    DTS is 5.1, but DTS-ES is the only true 6.1 system, but there are very few DTS-ES disks available at the moment. DD also has DD-EX, but this just uses a matrix to get the surround back signal from a 5.1 disk. 5.1 DTS disks can also output a 6.1 matrix track.
    If you only have a 5.1 system then the ES sound will be mixed down by the system to 5.1, so in theory nothing will be lost.

Mark.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have several music DVDs where the DTS soundtrack is completely lifeless and the Dolby Digital track is far better. I have no music DVds where the the Dolby Digital mix is lifeless.

In answer to the second part of your question, all AV amps and receivers now on sale will decode both Dolby Digital and DTS. When a disc contains both sound formats, at least it is good to have a choice.

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    DTS-ES Discrete is a true 6.1 format - DTS ES Matrix is not.

6. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even that's not strictly true, Discrete uses the extension data to remove the centre channel from the surrounds completely. It then outputs that same data as the rear surrounds. It's not totally discrete after all.