Advice Required Please.

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have sky+ on the trial at the moment and 4 weeks in i am on my 4th box which also doesnt work!:mad: when i phoned up the buy sky+ line the guy told me that the box i had would be fixed and thats the one i will keep,i asked if i would get a new box and he said no.I am a bit fed up with sky+ allways breaking down with me so what other options do i have,is the freeview box anygood and what about this new pace box????please someone advise me,help me out.:)

I am sure I read that when you agree to keep the SKY+ after a trial period the unit is replaced with a brand new one, the units used for the trials are refurbished ones.
Unless you do get a brand new SKY+ with 1 year warranty then I would not take up the offer, I personally would not purchase second hand SKY+ hardware even under the trial offer.

I like the look of the Pace Twin HD recorder for Freeview but at £350 I would not be willing to fork out even more money for a larger HD to make it practical and of course I watch 99.9% subscription TV. If by new Pace box you mean the redesigned SKY+ then it has yet to prove itself, it could be more reliable due to it's more integrated design or less reliable as a smaller enclosure might mean a higher internal temp.

so what other options do i have?
AFAIK the only other option is TiVo, but they are getting close to impossible to track down unless you are willing to pay huge amounts of cash to someone on ebay. :rolleyes:

Mark.

so what other options do i have?
There's always the option of a DVD Recorder. The Panasonic E50 does time shifting on RAM disks and allows chasing playback, simultaneous record/playback etc. Obviously you can't record one Sky channel whilst watching another but other than that it's a similar piece of kit. The Panasonic HS2 offers the same solution but with a HDD as well as the DVDR but is more expensive. Something to consider anyway.

They have not phoned me back yet to offer me the box,the 5th box i am using now has lasted the longest.just overa week!

i am using now has lasted the longest.just over a week!
Hopefully it will last then! IMHO Sky+ is well worth having - I know people have been having problems but if you can get a working setup you'll wonder how you ever did without it.

Hopefully your fifth box is brand new ?
If so keep it, the new Sky+ from Pace and new Sky+ from Amstrad are designed to hit a much lower cost and I agree with Starburst.
The Pace Puma Freeview is too small at 20gb, even if upgraded the people who say Sky+ is a poor version of Tivo, will no doubt say Puma is a poor version of Sky+.
Apart from E4 I only ever watch Freeview channels, I could happily use a DVD-RAM recorder and two Panasonic TUCT20 Freeview boxes but I would miss Sky+.
Have to say the £10 charge is becoming even harder to justify as new products like Puma turn up.
Good luck with your current Sky+ :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom