advice required please

A

avbeginner

hi, first post so go easy...

just purchased my first av system, blew the budget with denon 2910 dvd, denon 2105 amp, and infocus 4805 projector.
using a 10m dvi cable from the dvd to the 4805, and a coax cable between the 2910 and the 2105.

sound is great, picture is almost there just need some fine tuning. but where do i start? putting the system through its paces with the hulk - gave odd shadowing / blurring of the clouds in the fast moving scenes eg escape into the desert. the sky can also look a little grainy at times.

the dvi settings of the dvd include 480p/720p and 1080i which to go for?
am i getting poor picture because of the length of dvi cable?
or should i be concentrating on the projector settings?

thanks in anticipation of your kind help....

(before you ask I carried out a search, but it did not help)

It depends what the projector likes.
Some do the upscaling themselves in which case go for 480p. Other wise my prefence is 720p.

Can you tell us what DVI cable you are using? 10 metres is fairly long for a DVI run so cable quality is an issue.

Welcome AVB.

Have you tried component? Be interested to see if things were better/worse. I'm interested in going the DVI route but would need a 12m cable!

...PJ

Dont forget the 4805's native resolution is only 480 lines. If you send a signal of 1080i, the 4805 then has to scale that signal down to it's native resolution. It may be better just to send it a 480p signal to start with. The Denon has the same faroudja de-interlacer as the 4805 so the video processing shouldn't be an issue with either. DVI should give a much sharper picture than component anyway so just experiment with sending all resolutions and see what looks better. Component will probably give slightly better contrast levels though.
The 4805 only really shows up it's limited resolution in white text and light/white areas of picture and also with very small objects like a person in the distance.These can yeild slight pixelation. Otherwise you should see just lovely smooth pictures.

It might be that you need to set your white and black levels correctly (contrast and brightness). Idealy you should use a test disk like Avia and Video Essentials, but if you have a THX DVD with the THX Optimode on it, that will get you close. It's not as good as a pukka test disk, but better than nothing.

If the DVI cable was giving you problems, I would have thought you would be seeing snow in the picture, but as it isn't, it's probably just the settings that need tweaking.

Gary.

thanks.

the dvi cable was supplied by infocus - made by Hannstar - but I have heard with long cable lengths you can get 'drop out.' my problem is localised in particular to clouds in a blue sky when they are the back drop. when they are in the foreground the picture is very sharp.
so I agree unlikely to be a cable problem.

Oakleyspatz-I think you have hit the nail on its head with the blurriness/pixelation problem. Its not something I saw during an extended demo.

will try the other resolutions - and will have to find a test dvd. hope these dvds are idiot proof ;)

otherwise will I have to live with it ?
do the premium projectors also suffer the same problem?

As a rule of thumb, the more you spend on a DLP, the higher the native resolution is. The next one up in the Infocus Screenplay line is the 5700 which has 576 lines of resolution (same as PAL DVD) and then you go to the 7205 which has 720 lines of resolution ( same as 720p High Definition).What this basically means is that the picture is made up of more, smaller pixels which results in a finer smoother picture.
The best way for you to overcome to some extent your problem is either to sit a little further back from the image, reduce the size of the image, or what I find works is to reduce the brightness slightly. You can also very slightly set the focus off it's sharpest point. with DVI, you should still get a nice sharp picture, but it smooths the definition from one pixel to the next.
But I recommend if possible, sitting a little further back from the image. They say that 2x the image width is about right for the 4805 so if your displaying a 72 inch wide image (6 foot) then you should sit about 12 foot from the screen to avoid seeing any pixelation. Check you size/distance and see if this could be the problem.
Overall, the 4805 is a superb projector which would have cost many thousands of pounds only a few years ago with it's specification. Yes, it's resolution could be better, but it's colours, it's contrast, it's Faroudja video processing ( the same as found on it's £5000 7205 model) and it's price all go to make this one of the true classics in projector history.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom