Advice required please for new Amp

Ainsy999

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm in the market for a new amp for my home cinema set up and have c£500-£600 to spend.

I currently have a Sony STR DG820 running through a Tannoy Arena speakers setup with TS300 sub.

I'm aware that the speakers are superior to the amp and in order to do the speakers justice would like some advice in which amp to pair these up to.

I currently also run a Sony Blu-Ray player and SKY HD as well.

Thanks

Ian

Your speakers were expensive lifestyle speakers, this isn't to say that they are any more superior to speakers with similar specifications that cost a lot less. The issue with upgrading the amp will be with the speakers. A higher level of amp will only be of benefit if you can exploit that amp's added audio abilities via the speakers you use in conjunction with it. It is unlikely that you perceive much if any difference in audio playback with a £600 AV receiver and your current speakers. The speakers you are using are actually quite appropriate for the level of amp you currently have and your current amp can exploit your current speakers' capabilities to their maximum.

To get the best from an AV receiver you need to be spending two or three times as much on the speakers and sub. A £600 AV receiver is best paired with a speaker package costing £1000 - £1800. Although a Tannoy Arena 5.1 package such as yours sells for about £1,300 this price is inflated because of the package asthetics rather than because of the speakers' capabilities.

If still wanting to upgrade the amp then I'd suggest you look at the Sony STRDN1030. This amp will suit your speakers tonal attributes better than warmer sounding Yamaha or Denon amps. You'll also get more for your money when compared to similarly spec'd Onkyo models.

Last edited:
Dante

Thanks for the response. I'm under the impression from your reply that you do not rate the Tannoy system although they look asthetically pleasing.

I bought the Tannoy's new for c£400 3 years ago from a retail hi-fi shop after listening to them as well as some Kef 2005's. The Tannoys in my opinion sounded far better.

I'll look into the STRDN 1030

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom