1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice required on newbie PJ purchase

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bonfigli, Feb 13, 2005.

1. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I thought the hardest thing about buying a projector would be getting permission from the Mrs...... but trying to decide on a projector is a nightmare....

All i'm really looking for is a PJ that will allow me to watch dvd's in a dark room, with a throw distance of approx 3.5m.

I originally fancied a PB6200 DLP

*DLP TM projection system
    *True SVGA resolution
    *1500 ANSI lumens
    *2000:1 contrast ratio

But then I discovered this board and realised that DLP can produce the *rainbow effect* I didn't even know what DLP was until I discovered this great board.

Any how, to cut a long story, short.

I found a LCD Projector for around about the same price (budget of £650), the Sanyo PLC-XU41

*Resolution XGA
    *Brightness 1500 lumens
    *Display Type LCD
    *Contrast Ratio 450 :1

But I then noticed that the contrast was much lower than the DLP???

Would the 450:1 contrast prove much of a hindrance in a dark room??

As I said, I am a newbie, your expert guidance would be very much appreciated.

Bonfigli :lease:

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Frankly a CR of 450 is going to make for a lousy picture. Most cheap/bright projectors are designed for the business presentation market where a bright image viewable with background lighting is needed .. this is the opposite of what makes for good movie watching. 1500 lumens, even after allowing for the inevitable real-world number being a lot less than that is really too bright for a home cinema in most cases, especially I would say in a smallish room like yours.

If your budget is limited then something like the Epsom TW10H is pretty much the minimum spec machine which will give a satisfying picture I would suggest.

The usual recommendation is to try to demo before purchase, that said, I know it isn't easy and I've bought 4 machines sight unseen. :blush:

3. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that KraGorn,

so contrast is more important than a high lumes when using as a video projector in a dark room??

I'm glad I posted before I went and made a spontaneous purchase :)

I notice that the resolution is only (854*480) Would this be suitable at a distance of 3m?? or would I be better going for a higher res?

4. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Why not look out on the "for sale" boards here & try to buy a low use Panasonic AE500, Sanyo Z2 or a Hitachi TX100 (think thats the right number). These should be around the £650 - £700 mark & will give you an incredible picture together with HDTV compatability ?

Good luck !

:smashin:

5. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Paul, Didn't realise there was one :)

Bonfigli

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Absolutely. If you look at the sorts of projectors Paul mentioned they're all less than 1000 (on paper, in practice they're all a lot less than that), the CR is vital, again the figures in the specs are never seen in real-life, however you want one a lot higher than those like the one you were looking at.

That resolution is on the low side these days, the important thing though isn't so much the viewing distance as the size of screen. General advice is that the viewing distance should be at least 1.5 times screen width, preferably more with lower resolution projectors.

So if you viewed from 9' back then you're looking at a width of 5' or so, meaning a 69" diagonal 16:9 screen would be the sort of thing you'd be thinking about I would suggest. How much pixellation and 'screen door' are things that annoy is down to personal tastes, there are no hard and fast rules in this area.

A higher resolution would be better of course, but then you're looking at least 50% more on the price for a 1280x720.

7. bonfigli

bonfigli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks KraGorn....... Excellent advice, even though it has made my decision even harder now..... :D

I can see me spending another month before I make up my mind!!!!!

Pitty we don't have many demo's up here in sunny Glasgow....

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It isn't easy to decide, especially if you can't get to many (any?) demos, but it's a lot of money and if you're not in a position to take a chance then it pays to take your time .. the initial 'wow' soon wears off and you then need to live with whatever defects your choice has, and all choices available to mere mortals will have some negative aspects to them, the perfect projector (if there's one at all) costs well into 5 figures. :)