1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice required on buyind new AV Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bleeda, Dec 11, 2003.

1. bleeda

bleeda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Need some advice on buying a new AV amp/receiver. I have just purchased a Panasonic DVD Recorder DMRE-50. I want a new amp to take advantage of DD,DTS etc. I am considering a Yamaha RXV640.
    My current set up is an old Yamaha Pro logic amp & Bose speakers.

The problem-my Bose satelite speakers run off the sub. It says in the instructions I cannot connect the sats direct to to the amp. Therefore I can't see how I can set up a proper 5.1 system with my Bose speakers. If I leave the sub connection out and connect the two sats (which run through the sub) to the front left & right channels will I get any bass? As long as I get bass I'm not bothered about a proper 5.1 set up.

Any suggestions/ ways round this.

2. bleeda

bleeda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any ideas? Thought about this-if I wire the bose cube direct to centre channel output from the amp(which should only play dialogue) it shouln't harm the cube. I assume accoustimas bass unit just has a filter of some sort to remove bass frequencies for the cubes.

Ps I see Bose get slated in this forum & I think there are better things for the money now but at the time(approx 10 years ago) there were very few sub/sat systems around and they seemed the best at the time.

3. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Hi, I have been using a Bose Acoustimass 6 system for a couple of years now and can assure you that, although the satellites are connected via the sub, you still get a fair amount of base although, as you say, it is not a true 5.1 system, as you are not taking any output at all from the subwoofer pre-out on your amp. If anything, the only thing you miss out really is some of the mid range frequencies. When my system is turned up quite loud, I can feel some of the base coming through the floor - how much more do you really want?

Good luck.:hiya:

4. bleeda

bleeda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks m8. Just wot I needed to know. A couple more questions if I may

What amp do u use? And do u rate it?

Have u ever tried connecting the centre cube to the centre out & the sub out to the sub but with nothin out of the sub?

Do you know wot's inside the accoustimas sub? Is it a crossover?

Thanks again

J