1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice required on amp(s) for my Linn Sekrits, please

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Froggitt, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Froggitt

Froggitt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just finished building my own house and have installed Linn Sekrits in the walls (Both Front and Rear). The room they are in is 5m by 4m and i was wondering how mush to pay for amplification for them. I will be using them for stereo/multi-channel audio, and films. I have been looking at the linn 5103/5125 combo, but need some advice from people who know whats out there, They are wired up with QED Silver anniversary(bi wire for the front/normal for the rears). I have no source in mind, that would be my next question :) .As for budget, could stretch to 4k, but it would be a stretch...

Thanks in advance from a newbie to av stuff. :thumbsup:

2. roydonaldson

roydonaldson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi there,

If you are looking at a 5 channel power amp to drive your system, I'd seriously consider finding a nice friendly Linn dealer at present. The 5125 is just about to be discontinued and there is between 2-300 pounds off brand new ones at present. A good buy.

Roy.

3. Froggitt

Froggitt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that info, i looked at that amp with the 5103 processor, but, i'vr read bad things about the processor, can i use any processor/pre-amp with the 5125..

4. roydonaldson

roydonaldson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The 5103 is quite an old processor nowadays. I'd only consider it if you are after a cheaper priced second hand model. The later ones (the early ones didn't do DTS) are not too bad, don't do PLII, but PL, DD, DTS are fine. The 2 channel performance is meant to be especialy good, so consider it if 2 channel is important to you. I'd be hard placed to pay more than 1500 for one though.

The 5125 is meant to be a nice amp, but is mainly used with Linn electronics. It is mainly used with the Unidisc DVD/processors nowadays. In fact talking to our local dealer last week, the 5125 is what they recommend with the Linn DVD/processors.

Roy.

5. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    If you can stretch to £4k, I'd try and get your dealer to do something with the Unidisk SC (list price £2995) and an AV5125 (Normal list price £1800, currently £1500 while stocks last, until the new Chakra based amps come in). If you're prepared to take them ex-demo or maybe second hand you should be able to get that for £4k.

The SC is a DVD player as well as a pre-amp/processor, and it's supposed to be pretty kick-ass on both picture and sound. I'm hoping to audition one in a couple of weeks time, although I can't afford it this year...

6. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Froggitt,

I hadn't read your first post properly. If you've got the budget for a source on top, I've definately look at the Unidisk SC combo I mention above.

Is there any way that you could run an extra cable to your rear speakers, because then you could look (perhaps longer term) at taking the Sekrits Aktiv (although you'd need two of the AV5125 power amps for this) which would be a very nice system!

If you can't run the extra cable, then you could look at getting an extra AV5105 amp (two channel) and then taking your main stereo pair Aktiv, which would be nice for two channel music.

7. Froggitt

Froggitt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Froggitt

Froggitt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All,
    Its nice to have guys who know what they're talking about, to give you good advive, i now have a little more money than i thought, and have the chance to bi-wire the back speakers, so 2 5125's and some activ cards are the way forward. Having listened to the linn stuff, i'm sold, and the quality is superb. I've just got to get her indoors into the unidisc 2.1 and i'm happy. I will keep you poseted how the above system sounds with the Sekrits,
    Thanks Again,

9. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Also seriously worth considering Densen for the amplification, compliments LINN gear very nicely, also very upgradable. The mono blocks are IMHO better than the Klimax Chakra Mono's.