Advice required: JBL Bar 9.1 OR Other Soundbar with Samsung Q6 (2018)?

TommyT

Standard Member
I have been looking at the JBL 9.1 Bar Soundbar recvently and wondered if someone can give any advice?

To Give some background, I previously had an Yamaha Amp and Yamaha 5.1 speakers and loved it (they were cheap but still did the surround job connected to a disc player)
Wife doesnt love the idea of cables everywhere or lots too much work geting done, so she was suggesting a soundbar and i found this JBL one seems ok. The Samsung HW-Q90R is just far too expensive (and i have an issue about powering one of the back speakers)

The suggestion of a soundbar lead me to try the Sonos beam with Play 1's at the back but I sent it back as it just didnt sound good enough. I know if was probably missing the sonos sub but I feel that is just too expensive and cannot bring myself to buy that.
Also the room where we watch this Tv is quite open to the back of where we sit, so maybe it just wasnt big enough to fill the area?
Anyway, i have sonos kit around so could go that way with an Sonos Amp and with speakers in the ceiling (Wires are already in the ceiling) but again have concerns about the sub.
I didnt think the specs on the new Sonos Arc Looked as good as the dedicated Soundbars for TV watching...maybe wrong of course. I feel sonos is good for Music.

SO back to the JBL. It looks great for the money and convenience of self powered detachable speakers for the rear. (have an issue where one side behind the seats does not have easy power access)

I watch mainly Sky sports/BT Sports and Sky Movies through Virgin TV (Tivo6) which is directly linked to the TV via HDMI but also use Disney, Netflix and Amazon, and those are normally through the TV (apps) itself. The surround is to be used for Movies really. Sports and/or Music isnt a major consideration

To my question. I am worried that buying this soundbar will not be as good as my cheap 5.1 setup from years ago and I would be dissapointed like the sonos beam.

Apparently the TV Q6 doesnt have eArc...is this an issue?

How do i get "surround sound". Can i use the apps on the Tv, or need to use something else.

Is buying this JBL a waste dueor money due to the missing eArc and using the Apps on the TV or using indeed Virgin?
Should i buy a cheaper one if that is the case?

Looking for something that makes movies more fun and makes for a clearer voice.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
T

keithwiggins

I have been looking at the JBL 9.1 Bar Soundbar recvently and wondered if someone can give any advice?

To Give some background, I previously had an Yamaha Amp and Yamaha 5.1 speakers and loved it (they were cheap but still did the surround job connected to a disc player)
Wife doesnt love the idea of cables everywhere or lots too much work geting done, so she was suggesting a soundbar and i found this JBL one seems ok. The Samsung HW-Q90R is just far too expensive (and i have an issue about powering one of the back speakers)

The suggestion of a soundbar lead me to try the Sonos beam with Play 1's at the back but I sent it back as it just didnt sound good enough. I know if was probably missing the sonos sub but I feel that is just too expensive and cannot bring myself to buy that.
Also the room where we watch this Tv is quite open to the back of where we sit, so maybe it just wasnt big enough to fill the area?
Anyway, i have sonos kit around so could go that way with an Sonos Amp and with speakers in the ceiling (Wires are already in the ceiling) but again have concerns about the sub.
I didnt think the specs on the new Sonos Arc Looked as good as the dedicated Soundbars for TV watching...maybe wrong of course. I feel sonos is good for Music.

SO back to the JBL. It looks great for the money and convenience of self powered detachable speakers for the rear. (have an issue where one side behind the seats does not have easy power access)

I watch mainly Sky sports/BT Sports and Sky Movies through Virgin TV (Tivo6) which is directly linked to the TV via HDMI but also use Disney, Netflix and Amazon, and those are normally through the TV (apps) itself. The surround is to be used for Movies really. Sports and/or Music isnt a major consideration

To my question. I am worried that buying this soundbar will not be as good as my cheap 5.1 setup from years ago and I would be dissapointed like the sonos beam.

Apparently the TV Q6 doesnt have eArc...is this an issue?

How do i get "surround sound". Can i use the apps on the Tv, or need to use something else.

Is buying this JBL a waste dueor money due to the missing eArc and using the Apps on the TV or using indeed Virgin?
Should i buy a cheaper one if that is the case?

Looking for something that makes movies more fun and makes for a clearer voice.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
T
A soundbar will never offer the same fidelity as separates, however a good soundbar massive convenience and neatness over seperates.
you may be better served looking for a soundbar with less frills, that is completly focused on sound quality rather than features, something that will actually give seperates a run for there money, check out a Dali katch one or a bluesound pulse sound bar.
No atmos but that is very room/equipment/content dependant at best.

TommyT

Standard Member
thanks for the quick response Keith.

The Dali looks to be the same price (639/649) with the bluesound being about 150 more.

Are you saying these will give a similar experience alone (just those single soundbars) as the JBL? with the sound immersing me in the movie?

I agree about the separates. As i said even the cheap yamaha separates have been better that the beam and these were from about 10 years ago :)

Thanks
T

keithwiggins

thanks for the quick response Keith.

The Dali looks to be the same price (639/649) with the bluesound being about 150 more.

Are you saying these will give a similar experience alone (just those single soundbars) as the JBL? with the sound immersing me in the movie?

I agree about the separates. As i said even the cheap yamaha separates have been better that the beam and these were from about 10 years ago :)

Thanks
T
they will be better than the jbl in midrange and treble but with slightly less bass as they are all in ones. The Jbl majors on bass due to its seperate sub.

TommyT

Standard Member
Smashy, I did have read and thought it sounded decent but I suppose my question was more around the specifics of my setup being a large open plan space behind me (will it lose the Atmos sound in the space) and with the Samsung Q6 (2018)...it didnt have eArc...do i need eArc to get the benefits?

also with how i watch via the apps or via virgin, fdo they even broadcast in Atmos?

Does everything i watch "downgrade" to "stereo surround" fir example if not in Atmos.

Do i need to pay the 649 to get a decent surround with clear voice...or do i just wait in puttings speakers in the ceiling/walls. I guess they would cost around the 650 for the 5 speakers . then i have to buy a sub and amp and then i only get 5.1 (which may actually be enough)

I will re read again maybe.

Thanks
T

SmAShY

@TommyT Atmos can be done over normal ARC providing your TV and apps support it. I'm not sure about your specific TV. Is there a sound output setting called Dolby Digital+?

SmAShY

I think this Dolby Digital+ is a setting that I can select yes.

You should be OK with Atmos over ARC from your TVs apps then. Might be worth checking in the relevant TV forum that the built in apps do support Atmos.

TommyT

Standard Member
just had a check on the Samsung site and it seems my TV support only Dolby Digital?...not ATMOS?
Looks like most 2018 Samsungs are similar.
I had a look at another site who do tests and it seems the all it can do is 5.1 perhaps. This may be enough for me as it will give the "surround sound", so i might look for a cheaper bar...or end up buying the Sonos Arc, which would fit into the rest of the sound system.

Thanks for the help/responses so far though guys
@SmAShY
@keithwiggins

2021.01.02_002.jpg

SmAShY

@TommyT If your inbuilt apps don't support Atmos you could get a Firestick or Roku stick etc and connect it directly to the bar.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom