Advice required for Sony VPLHS1.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Linz, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Linz

Linz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ,I thought maybe one of you home theatre gurus out there may be able to help me out,I have recently purchased the VPLHS1 assuming(as you do)that being a home theatre projector it would have an invert/reverse function to allow ceiling mounting.I work in the middle East and did not want to opt for the 11ht as it would be an over kill in my accommodation here which is fairly small.After going through the labourious task of roof mounting it I sat down to fine tune it and found found I couldn't flip the picture,disappointing considering the cheaper Sharp projector I have just parted with had these functions.I have set up a roof mounting system since then with the projector upright that although it does work it still causes the image to become slightly trapezoidal.I can adjust the image straight but when I fill the screen with the adjusted picture the light then shines off the sreen and looks shoddy.What I want to know is:1)What were Sony thinking!?and 2)Is there some kind of picture invert box I can put signals in and out of that flips the picture?My wife thinks it looks fine but as most people who set up their home theatre know,if it doesn't look 100% then you are not happy.Looking forward to any welcome advice.
    Linz

2. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287

Sorry - but you just discovered one of the biggest drawbacks of the HS1. It can't really be properly roofmounted, and with the standard screen even wallmounting above furniture is out.

I found this out _after_ I put up a shelf over my sofa. Really, it needs to be at the height of the bottom of the screen for best results as the 'shadow' runoff from the keystone correction can be distacting (and it has a maximum deflection of something like +-5 degrees, from memory)

You're either going to have to re-arrange your room around the projector, or else wheel it out whenever you want to use it. Probably for many people this is actually a good thing, but its really annoying if you want to just mount it somewhere and forget it, like most enthusiasts will want to.

On the positive side, fan noise is so low that you can sit right beside it during a movie with no real annoyance (to me, at least).

Gav

3. Linz

Linz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Gav,
    You are right in saying that it is a major drawback,especially if you have kids because it is at the perfect height to be played with.I have mounted it using the extendadable floor mount with a home fabricated joiner in the middle to allow the adjustable base the projector mounts on to be the right way up so when you are finished watching you can slide it back up towards the roof.I have also modified the screen so it too is mounted on the roof.As I said previously it works pretty well it's just that little bit of light run off once you have used the digital keystone that is the bugbear.As you say though the projector really needs to project from the bottom of the screen to get a perfectly square picture but if you did this from the roof with the projector upright it would be half way to the floor and then you may as well have it on the floor!I work in Riyadh and when I was in the Sony shop I told the salesman what I wanted to do and he (obviously) spun me some bulldust and told me it was roof mountable.On the Sony website for the HS1 they list in their optional extras a suspension mount so with the two conspiring together I bought it,oh well nothing to be done now but get on with it.Was playing Red Faction on the PS2 through it and the surround last night,superb.Thanks again for taking the time Gav.
    Linz