1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice required for purchase of Tag Amps

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Doodle, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Doodle

Doodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please could I have advice from the expert members on this forum as to my best course of action. I have the all singing and dancing AV32R DP (everything except DAB). My main love is music but obviously I am big on home cinema too. Do I buy two 250MR´s and one 100 5R or one 250 X3 and one 100 4R? Thanks

2. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Extend your range a little. Get a Bryston 9B ST. They work really well with TAG kit, THX Ultra certified, they have a 20 year warranty and there are plenty of them around for comparable money. Choice of black or silver and the same width and the TAG processor - if you get the right version.

3. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, I would get the 250x3R + 100x4R. I own 2 250MR's + 100x5R + 100x2R myself, but I don't think you will really hear a difference with a 250x3R. The big advantage with this one is that you also have a 250 moduke for your centre. Now I bi-amp the centre with 2 modules from the 100x5R which also works nice.
    Anyway, the 250 module is a great amp, plus you have the Tagtronic bus.

4. jolaca

jolaca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    250x3R + 100x4R is my exact configuration that matches with my AV32DP and I am really happy.

5. christoph

christoph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi guys

wouldn't it be nice to know which speakers the amp has to drive, BEFORE everybody shouts tag... :rolleyes:

regards, christoph

6. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok, I'll bite ;) :

In my opinion a decent amp can drive any properly built speaker. I definitely consider the Tag 250 modules decent amps, just like Bryston etc. An advantage with the Tag amps is the Tagtronic bus connection.

7. Doodle

Doodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Mission 753F fronts, 2 X Mission 733 sides 2 x 733i rears. (Yet to get a sub).

8. Doodle

Doodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know this will be pure speculation, but is there a likelyhood the 250 amps with Tag badges will be sold off cheap prior to the likely change in name to Audiolab?

9. christoph

christoph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi teejo

i don't mean the ability to drive a speaker electrically. i meant the sonic direction.

i never would pair my tag ds and kef reference with a tag amp. that sounds too harsh in my ears. i found "my" amp in a mcintosh mc7205 with smoothens the rest of the combi. on the other hand i would never pair a nautilus with a tube amp or a mcintosh. nautilus and tag amps are something i can imagine very well...

regards christoph

10. christoph

christoph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi doodle

sorry that i can't contribute something useful to your question, because i don't know your speakers...

regards christoph

11. Pooley

Pooley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Post a question asking for advice in the TMA forum, and you will get people suggesting TMA amps!

I used a 100x5R for several years in my 5.1 setup. I like the sound of these amps, but you can do better. I recently bought a pair of Audio Research Classic 120 hybrid valve monoblocks, as I wanted to focus my system more toward two channel music, rather than surround sound and movies. They have a substantially better sound than the 100x5R, but they aren't as "user friendly";

i. You can't leave them on all the time as they're Class A so generate heat, enough to warm the room
    ii. They therefore need to be switched on when you want to listen to music or movies, and switched off at the end of the session
    iii. They're huge, each one is larger than a 100x5R, and damn heavy
    iv. I always left the 100x5R powered up, so it was ready for use at any time, the CL120's are more hair-shirt

So my advice is this, if you want to have the best sound then go listen to a selection of amps until you find the one you like best, and maybe use a 100x?R to power your surround speakers. The software on the AV32R will obviously allow you to match the levels to each speaker. If you want ease of use and practicality, then a set of 250MR's or 100x?R's is the way to go, with them linked via the TAG bus. You'll sacrifice a little quality, but have an easy to use system that matches visually. Hope this helps!

12. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    People quite often say that Tag amps are too bright, but I couldnt disagree more. If your room is carpeted and has plenty of soft furnishing or treatment on the walls then I think they are just very neutral sounding. My new 250MRs are less forward than my old MFs were :) I think the room has a lot more to do with the sound of the HF than the amps :D

13. christoph

christoph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hello thunder

if you are honest: how does the normal living room look like? are the walls normally treatened with carpet or any other dampening products? i think normally not, am i right? i would say that probably the speakers have the most impact on the sound...

14. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Which is exactly why the best place for many thousands of pounds of highly specialized AV equipment is not an Ikea esque living room. If your gonna install equipment at this level then either you need to make compromises with your decor or go to the effort of a dedicated room :) You wouldnt buy a Aston Martin and park it in the local council car park, would you?

15. christoph

christoph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi thunder

not everyone has the possibility to have his homecinema in a dedicated room und also not everyone has a wife/girlfriend who tolerates it if the living room is a dark cave that is dampened with carpet on the walls and ceiling ;)

so the compromise can be to buy the nicest stuff one can afford and live with the situation as it is...

16. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    There are compromises and degrees rather than black and white situations:smashin: Most people who can afford a Tag system should have a house large enough to make a dedicated room if they really want to. My house is only a three bedroom link detatched and I earn roughly the national average wage :thumbsdow But I have managed to build a dedicated room myself:D Anyway my original point was that a lot of people blame the kit, when its actually the room they have put it in. :thumbsup:

17. christoph

christoph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hello thunder

you don't seem to be able to imagine how expensive flats or houses are round here :(

in this point i have to give you full ack! and HOW and WHERE they put the speakers in the room.

18. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Thunder, you have no idea how wrong you are.
    Most people I know having (very) expensive AV gear (actually all but one) are miles away from having any sort of house, me included. At least this is how the things go on this side of the water.
    I agree here with Christoph!

And I am not hijacking the thread here or starting another seamless discussion, this is only FYI how the things are going here.

19. Doodle

Doodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thunder, looks like I am a bit stuffed as my room has tiled floor (though I have bought a large rug that covers some of the floor, I also have very thin curtains. It looks like I might have to invest in some sonic dampening from what you are saying. Does my room discount a TAG amp?

20. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can have a non dedicated room that looks and sounds nice... :cool:

My AV

21. christoph

christoph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    pictures please...

22. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  23. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    By the way, the mirror was replaced by a large painting, almost 5´x 4´, and the frame was filled with 4mm flannel + 4mm cork sheet, as was an almost as large painting in front of it, both without glass cover, of course...

There is noticeably less noise now, the room had a constant buzz/echo that is gone, easily confirmed by clapping hands... :clap:

24. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    agreed :D