Advice required for new Amp

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Ainsy999, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Ainsy999

Ainsy999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the process of looking to change my Sony STR DG820 for a newer amp with a budget of upto £500. Having looked at a number of reviews, i've shortlisted the following receivers:

Sony STRDN 1040
    Yamaha RXV 775
    Denon AXVR 2000

The receiver will be paired upto my Tannoy Arena's (TS300) and SKY HD, and blue Ray player.

Any advice on what receiver would compliment my speakers would be gratefully received.

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    Forget the Yamaha RXV775, its just the RXV675 with the addition of multichannel pre outs, a phono stage and dual HDMI outputs. A better option is the Yamaha RXV1073 which is basically an RXA1020 without the anti resonance features associated with Yamaha's Adventage models. The RXV1073 offers you far better value for money than the RXV775:

Yamaha RX-V1073

More on this receiver here:
    Any Yamaha RX-V1073 owners? | AVForums

The RXV1073 would surpass any one of the other receivers you've listed, but ultimately deserves better speakers than the Tanny Arenas. The Tannoy speakers are respectable lifestyle speakers, but the very fact that they are lifestyle speakers compromises their abities. They also have a warm signature sound which is not always the best option in conjunction with similarly sounding power sources such as that associated with Yamaha receivers.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  3. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    £550 can get you a lot of amp at current prices :-

Denon AVRX3000 - £499
    Marantz SR5008 - £449
    Marantz SR6008 - £599

4. Michael8

Michael8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had the the Sony strd 1040 and I really did not like it. To the point that I returned it to the shop.

Why? I like to get up and press one button in order to listen to internet radio. The sony was just awful. I had to switch on the TV and go through various menues. Makes me wonder how can this avr be a winner in a well known magazine...

I also had problems with sync....

In the end I went for a Denon x4000 .And I am very happy with my choice.

I have have not tried the x2000. But I like the reviews especially the easy remote control usage.. (which is quite similar to mine).

Good luck and hope I could help at least a little bit.:)

5. Ainsy999

Ainsy999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the comments.

One thing i have discovered is that there is so much choice at my budget level.

Following a number of internet reviews of products, I have now came up with the following receivers whcih are all within a few quid of one another.

Yamanha 1073 (as highlighted by Dante)
    Pioneer SC1223 or SC2022 ( £10 difference - Are they both similar or does one stand out)
    Marantz 6008

I've seen that RS are selling the Pioneer VSX923 at £250 roughly half of the ones above. How does the 923 fare?

Lastly will i notice a noticeable improvement with any of the above compared to the Sony STR DG820?

Thanks for all the comments so far - so many decisions.