1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice required For making My Own Interconnects

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by oatmeal, Dec 14, 2003.

1. oatmeal

oatmeal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Home of the worst postal system in the world.
    Ratings:
    +15
    I would like to make some very short length interconnects (about 25cm) in order to cut down on the amount of Spaghetti at the rear of my AV system.
    I'm targetting the less important outputs like the VCR in an effort to cut down on potential interference to my more important outputs like the DVD player which will keep it's short length Linn phonos.
    I therefore have some scope to experiment and thought I'd set about soldering my own cable to phono plugs. Will good speaker cable work well as good interconnect cable or is there an altogether different rule of thumb. For example, my first idea was to use QED Silver Anniversary and weld that to the phonos. Would that still get me a reasonable sound?

2. garybuk

garybuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oatmeal,

I wouldn't recommend using speaker cable for interconnects, interconnects generally use Coaxial cables and phono plugs are in most cases designed for this configuration of cabling. Because line level signals are generally more prone to interfearance then shielded cabling should be used. Also interconnects should be rated at 75Ù, where speaker cables are designed to carry high voltage signals (compared to line level). You could end up damaging some of your equipment if you use incorrect resistance cabling.

QED and other manufacturers do some quality .5m (50cm) interconnects

or alternatively go for these:
    http://www.hificables.co.uk/acatalog/QED_Phono_.html (Phono Plugs)

http://www.hifistore.co.uk/product.php?qsProd=PCV1XM (Custom QED Cable)

or.... buy a interconnect (1m) and cut it to length and re-solder the phono's

3. oatmeal

oatmeal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Home of the worst postal system in the world.
    Ratings:
    +15
    This was my plan B so I'll go with that.
    Thanks for technical advice. I suspected I was missing something otherwise everybody would be doing it!
    Cheers.

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Take a look in the DIy forum, there is quite a range of ideas floating around in there.

5. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Take a look at www.bluejeanscable.com as I just ordered a 5ft Belden 1694A IC with Canare 75OHM terminators for under £11 inc P&P!!

I think they do .5m lengths as well? They also sell other cables like Canare LV-77S or L-5CFB. These are all very good cables and rival many expensive cables.

6. Uncle Dicky

Uncle Dicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can make your own interconnects but do not expect them to be brilliant. You do need to use a coaxial cable, rather than speaker cable as you need a shielded cable for low level signals. Good quality plugs make all the difference. I would suggest soldering these onto the cable rather than 'welding' them however!

The impedence (in ohms) is not actually relevant for analogue interconnects. If you are making digital or video interconnects impedence is paramount but the relatively low frequency of analogue low level output means that impedence and "signal bounce back" is not an issue. None the less decent quality coaxial cable is nearly always available in 50ohm and 75ohm variations.

Good luck!

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    oatmeal

If your worried about your VCR and other 'less important' sources 'interfering' with your 'Important' sources you'd be far better going in the opposite direction and using very long cables and putting the VCR and the rest as far away from you 'Important' kit as possible as any interference from the signal cables is going to be negligible compared to the potential 'interference' from sitting the kit so close together.

Best regards

Joe