Advice required, connecting Telewest Pace box to Relisys LCD TV

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by sTaInZ, Jan 16, 2005.

1. sTaInZ

sTaInZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I'm stuck - more from a lack of knowledge at this point from want of trying! I have purchased a new Relisys LCD TV, which doesn't have a SCART input. It has VGA, component (three RCA inputs), composite video and SVIDEO. So, looking for the best quality picture I went out and purchased a SCART->SVIDEO cable, but the picture quality was fuzzy and in black & white.

I then read elsewhere that the Pace Telewest box that I have doesn't output an RGB signal over SVIDEO.. so back to the drawing board. I was advised to try an SVIDEO back to composite convertor - which got me colour, but still very fuzzy and indistinct picture and is a waste of time when i could just go out and buy a composite video with audio cable.

The quality of the TV is great (using a PC on VGA), but i'm so disappointed by the current RF/tuner setup between the box and the TV that i'm still looking for a solution that gives me crisp lines and great colours.

I'm thinking that a SCART to VGA cable could work, but i don't want to pursue that route until I know it would work with my Telewest box, or instead - a SCART to component video, with audio L&R phono. Is this the best solution?

Sorry for the length of the msg, but I want to get the right answers back to avoid buying any more cables!! Phew...

Thanks in advance, Steve

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    get a JS technology RGB>component converter best quality for RGB STB>LCD (with component inputs)

3. sTaInZ

sTaInZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your response, but in your opinion (all) do you think that it's worth the £145 for the RGB->Component converter, or would the slightly cheaper RGB->VGA or SVIDEO be equally as good?

The problem for me is I assume that just because the two ends of the cable can plug into both devices that it would just work - clearly that isn't the case.

Reading between the lines, am i to assume that the Pace Telewest box doesn't output a signal that can be used directly with a SCART to component cable?

Thanks in advance for your advice..
    S

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    RGB>VGA probably wont work (and then how do you connect PC?) RGB>S-video will work but then you might as well not bother and use composite from tekewest and live with crap picture.......... How big is TV and how much was it?

5. sTaInZ

sTaInZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my problem, the picture is OK - when I'm viewing it from a distance of 3m, but closer up it looks crap as you say and i'd rather it were better. But the TV is a 17" TFT bought for £350, so we're not talking about a huge plasma that deserves an upgrade to get the best performance. I'm just reading the PDFs on the JS Technology site that are a good background for getting up to speed on the basics.

Surely Telewest will come up with a better box that outputs native S-VIDEO or component?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Telewest are broke and skint an there is ONE STB in UK with component outs and that for Freeview the whole of Europe uses RGB scart (hence TV's without them are cheap!!!! and designed for US/Asia markets where scart and RGB are just a bad dream)