1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice required buying a laptop

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by leep11, Jul 10, 2005.

1. leep11

leep11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I am looking to buy a laptop and have a budget of £700.
    It is only to be used in the home (although I will prob need to take it to work now and again)- for games, Internet usage, online poker and music.

I am really as green as grass when it comes to this so I am looking for advice what to look out for as I spent a fortune 1 year ago on my pc which is a heap of crap, I dont want to fall into the same trap.

I have seen a couple on Dells website, anyone know if they are decent.
    Can anyone advise what min spec I should expect to get for my money.

Many Thanks

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    Dell laptops are generally great value for money, and very reliable in the time I've known them.

I'd say the majority of places I have worked in the last 5 years have nearly all used dell laptops, for the same reasons.

I've got an Inspiron 510M, with the big screen, 512mb, Wireless etc.

More than good enough even for playing DVDs when you're away from home, It's awsome as a PC due to the screensize/resolution possible, and bounces like a rubber ball ( tried and tested too many times ). It goes all over Europe with me and hasn't failed once so far.
    The sound is truly appalling though ..bog-standard laptop speakers...!

I haven't seen a 'bad' Dell for a few years now.. they used to make a few duffers, but they seem to have things nicely sorted now.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    I use a Dell and have done for last 5 years. My old one is now a client in my Kitchen for my distributed audio system.

One of my mates got a great one for a couple of hundred off. He got a quote online and saved the quote number. Then he called Dell to ask about the gross overcharge for delivery. They agreed to waive the delivery charge....then he said he'd order it then and there and give them his credit card if they knocked some more off it. This was a £1250 ish laptop. It seems that Dell phone sales team have targets and if you get them at a good time they are open to negotiation. Worth a try.

My only problems have been with my last one and that was a battery that gave up after a year and the usb ports fell to bits. The current one I use I bought on the forums from a member. It's still going strong and the only reason I can see to change it is for better screen and because the letters are all getting rubbed off the keyboard.....

Gordon

4. MrBlofeldt

MrBlofeldt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Ok, I know you only have a budget of £700, but if you can stretch it to £1000, Aldi (yes Aldi !) are doing a fantastic deal on a laptop, that comes with everything you could possibly want, 100Gb hdd, 1.8Ghz Centrino, 8 x DVD/RW, 1Gb Ram, firewire, you name it, it's got it, the manufacturer is Gericom, however I have seen reviews of this machine in a couple of magazines, and they say you cannot get better value for money, the only gripe they could come up with was that it's a little on the heavy side...

...might be worth a look if you can stretch your cash that little bit further...

5. sjgill

sjgill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Are you interested in Standard Screen or widescreen laptops? I'm looking for one myself with a budget of about £700 and I'm looking at tiny.com

insert laughter here.......

Anyway Tiny are now a HP Partner which means that your warranty is with HP not Tiny and you get all the usual recovery cds etc with it without having to pay. The model I've been looking at is this one

http://laptops.tiny.com/computers/power_laptops/14780/61219/HP_3400+_Power_Model

They have them in store (The computer shop or whatever they call themselves nowadays) so you can look at them instore but don't buy there as they are £100 more expensive instore than online!

6. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,584
    I have a Mesh laptop which I am very happy with.

they have some on their website:

http://www.meshcomputers.com/updated/notebook_range.htm

I bought a powerview 3ghz pro with P4 and radeon 9700 gfx, does everything well, and will play HD demos.
    It was on the A-list with PC pro magazine.