Advice requested on a recessed TV – possibly with a mirror cover

Grafight

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

We're currently doing some work in our lounge, we've just knocked down a big ugly old white brick fireplace and have ordered a smaller marble fireplace.

We've built a false chimney breast which protrudes ~8" into the room (picture attached - not yet plaster boarded). This is for two reasons i) it gives the fireplace more presence and ii) it's an easy way to hide all the TV cables as I'm planning to remount my 42" Hitachi Plasma (or a new TV) onto it.

However, when I got this far I realised that just by cutting some the uprights and putting more horizontal supports in, I could actually mount the TV on the "real" wall (the block wall behind the timber frame) and the TV would be flush with the new wall, so that it doesn't stick out at all. Typical of me to change the plan part way through a project!

Getting the TV to be flush with the new wall seems relatively easy to do (although I have a question about ventilation below).

I then got wondering if it was possible to buy the two way mirror glass that I've seen on "Mirror TVs", have a bespoke frame made up and cover the TV, so that it is invisble when the TV is switched off.

I'm either going to mount my old Hitachi 42PMA400e Plasma on the wall or buy a new TV - possibly a 50" LG 50PG6900 (although my wife thinks this is too big - I had no idea there was such a thing as a too big TV ;)).

The Hitachi doesn't have built in speakers, so I would have to mount my speakers somewhere else on/in the wall, the LG has speakers built in, so no need for seperate speakers and I could also get rid of the huge Yamaha DSP-AX757SE surround sound amp that I have - I'm trying to make all the AV equipment a lot less visible.

My questions are:

1. Does anybody know where I can buy the two way mirror TV glass? Or a company that will make a two way mirror cover with frame to size for me?
  2. If I mount the LG behind the mirror - does anybody know how this will affect the sound quality? I'm not a complete audiophile (thus being happy with the stock LG speakers), but I don't want the sound quality to be awful.
  3. Both screens are plasmas and thus use a reasonable amount of power and pump out a reasonable amount of heat. Will two vents in the plasterboard on either side of the frame be enough to keep the TVs cool (bearing in mind they might be sealed behind glass)? If vents aren't enough does anybody know what would be required to cool this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0324.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 4,173
Last edited:
Just doing a quick google found these people

Two Way Mirror - From Mirrorworld

a piece to cover my 40" samsung opening was £140.

I think you will struggle to hear your Hitachi`s audio and any other tv which is behind glass.

I`ve done what you have with good picture detail if your interested in my BLUE sig at the bottom but without the mirror glass.

Also bear in mind that plasma`s belt out the heat and LCD`s don`t. You would certainly have to vent at the top imho and maybe have to fit an extractor fan at the side of your new false wall to withdraw any heat build up.

Sounds very interesting though so post the pics as and when

cheers Al :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom