1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice requested: my first projector/screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cmcg55, Jun 8, 2005.

1. cmcg55

Standard Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I’m going to be moving back to the UK from the US in a few months time, and one thing I’m going to be looking for is a new display unit. In looking around the web, I’ve got to say I’m realizing how spoiled I’ve been over here – the prices you guys are having to pay for large-screen TVs is frankly extortionate. I feel for you big time.

For the last two years, I’ve been using a 50” Hitachi LCD widescreen, but I’ve rapidly come to realize that there is no way in hell I can afford something of similar size/tech in the UK. As such, I’ve been gradually reconciling myself to the idea of a much smaller unit.

That is… until I started looking at projector/screen combos. These seem to be much more reasonably priced (reasonably priced meaning as opposed to spending the amount of money you could almost buy a new car for!), and I’m certainly becoming very interested in the idea. Thing is… my main need is movies (pre-recorded DVDs). Watching terrestrial or satellite-based programming? Pshaaw!! Not a big thing to me. Quite happy to watch that on a bog-standard CRT (a 28” version of which I still have lurking at my parents house over there, so I don’t need to worry about that at all). For my movies though… I need more. A lot more.

As far as projectors are concerned, and on what little research I have done, the Panasonic PT-AE700U seems to be quite popular, but I’ve also looked at the Sanyo PLV-Z3 and PLV-Z2. I’ve found one website over here selling the Panny for a bare $US 1,055. The best price I could find on a Z3 was $1,599, while another site had the Z2 at around $1,100. In particular with the Panny, that price is a fraction of what I would have to pay in the UK.

Now screens… the idea I’m currently considering for the setup is to convert a single-car garage to a dedicated HT-environment. The plan in that scenario would be to set up a 16:9 screen at one end (I came across one which is roughly 77 x 44 (white-area dimensions), which if my arithmetic (and Mr Pythagoras) is/are correct, would equate to a diagonal of just under 90”. This seems to be a size, just from what I’ve read of various projectors, that many units are happy/optimal at projecting.

However, for both the projectors and the screens - I must confess, I know next to nothing about them other than what I’ve read in the last few days. This is an area where I am, I merrily admit, a total and utter babe in the woods. Therefore… I’m looking for just general advice on where to even start… your thoughts/comments/advice would be appreciated.