1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Requested - Denon 3802/3 and B&W Speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Rasczak, Jan 18, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Can anyone offer some advice please - I'm looking into purchasing a surround sound system.

For the receiver I am looking at the Denon 3802 or 3803 - possible the latter as I will be upgrading to progressive scan in the next 18 months or so and therefore want the 'audio delay' feature. For the speakers I was looking at the B&W DM300 speaker package (2 x DM309 Floorstands, 2 x DM303 rears, 1 x LCR3 and 1 x ASW300).

Can anyone offer any advice on the above combination? How should the speakers be connected - via 'normal' cable or 'bi-wire' cable? I can see from other threads that cabling (i.e. how much to pay) is a 'hot' topic but is QED Original/Original BiWire considered a good compromise (I've always been impressed with QED's scarts)?

Thanks in advance

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    In theory,biwiring can be better,as it lowers resistance and cuts interference etc,but also adds to the cabling costs!
    At this price level,the QED cables offer good value and performance.

As for biwiring the B&W's....as far as I can remember,B&W dont specifically recommend biwiring,but in the case of my own Nautili,the benefits of biwiring were immediately obvious,with much clearer treble,and a smoother sound overall.

The Denon is a good receiver btw....I have a friend who has the 3802 and is extremely pleased with it.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Thanks for the reply. Could I just ask about biwiring - I see from the diagrams etc that Biwiring gives two + connections and two - connections for each speaker - do all speakers have sufficient inputs for this? I assume at the receiver end these are still just single + and - connections? Or am I missing the point by a couple of light years?

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Not all speakers are biwire capable...if your speakers dont have individual sets of terminals(one for bass,one for mid,one for treble etc),than biwiring wont be possible.

At the receiver end,they fit into the speaker outlets as ordinary cables would....hope that helps!

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Thanks for replying - have you bi-wired all the speakers or just some? Does bi-wiring apply to the subwoofer as well?

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    All biwired here thanks except the sub....I had loads of speaker cables left over after selling a set of Linn Keltiks(triamped active)so biwiring what I have here was no problem!.....kept all those otherwise unwanted leads occupied :D