• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice Request: Sony 5.1 setup

adam-james

Standard Member
Hi All,

I'm a n00b looking for a bit of reassurence- I've just got a great deal on a new Bravia 40W4000 and the ht-SS1200 5.1 set.

I am going to connect the following all to the amp, then run just 1 HDMI cable back to the Bravia, and will expect 1080p at 24fps from the PS3... please can someone confirm that this will work?

- Xbox 360 (Opticial to the amp, Component into the TV))
- PS3 (HDMI)
- Sky HD (HDMI)
- Mac Mini (DVI-HDMI)

Many thanks for your time!

biggiegc

Established Member
Hi All,

I'm a n00b looking for a bit of reassurence- I've just got a great deal on a new Bravia 40W4000 and the ht-SS1200 5.1 set.

I am going to connect the following all to the amp, then run just 1 HDMI cable back to the Bravia, and will expect 1080p at 24fps from the PS3... please can someone confirm that this will work?

- Xbox 360 (Opticial to the amp, Component into the TV))
- PS3 (HDMI)
- Sky HD (HDMI)
- Mac Mini (DVI-HDMI)

Many thanks for your time!

For your PS3 I suggest you connect it to the Amp as you said, and use the HDMI as you said, but you should run a digital optical cable from your PS3 (and Sky HD, Mac Mini if it has an optical port) straight into the Amp, and then obviously run a Digital optical from the Amp to the TV. This should acheive everything you would want from the HD sources for sound and vision.:smashin:

biggiegc

Established Member
Thanks for the advice dude.

That, I don't understand.

I'll have 5.1 coming out of my speakers and HDMI running the picture back to the tv... why would the TV need have the sound?

Oh sorry shouldve explained myself a little better..if you want to use the Free Sat on your TV (which should be built in with this model if I am correct) then you would run an optical from the Optical out behind your TV to your AMP (providing you have enough inputs) if you dont then you could always try a Coaxial to your Amp)

something I might consider doing soon since a lot of HD channels will run off Freesat, as I understand ITV have released their HD channel today on it.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I think this unit actually supports multichannel LCPM via the HDMI sockets. Well the manual certainly seems to say this. you therefore wont need an optical cable for the PS3 and will get the HD sound formats converted by the PS3 to multichannel via HDMI.
I also believe that the SkyHD might be able to send 5.1 thru HDMI as well but will be happy to be corrected on that score. So its just the Mac and Xbox that need optical connections (handy as it has 2)

MarkTaylor

Prominent Member
I also believe that the SkyHD might be able to send 5.1 thru HDMI as well but will be happy to be corrected on that score.

Allow me :)

No, SkyHD can't send 5.1 through HDMI sadly.

I really wish they would get that sorted, but an optical cable will be reuqired for the Sky box.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Allow me :)

No, SkyHD can't send 5.1 through HDMI sadly.

Thats a shame :thumbsdow

In that case I'd probably either look at using a stereo phono connection for the Mac or purchase a converter to convert the co-ax digital in to another optical input.

If you use phono leads this will give a stereo signal from the mac. this will be output from the sytem as DPL II which is still pretty good. If you do have files with DD sound on the Mac you could always setup some streaming software and use the PS3 to stream your files (preferably with a wired network connection to the Mac and PS3 for reliability)

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom