• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice req'd for 5.1 LCR placement (Sorry!) in odd shaped room (DIY Project starting)

powerbook

Standard Member
Hi

After what seems like a lifetime of waiting for other rooms in the house to be refurbed, the lounge's turn is finally here. It's a full on chimney breast out/ceiling down/flooring up project so I need to get it right and therefore would like some advice please.

I apologise for not providing a sketch but I hope you can visualise the layout. The main wall measures 336cm wide x 240cm high. The big problem is LCR speaker placement due to an existing doorway located on this wall which needs to be retained.

To maximise wall space I will move the door as far to the RIGHT of the wall as possible. Luckily I can move the door right in to the corner, say 5cm from the edge. And I will fit a narrowish 686mm wide door.

But even with these changes a 50" TV (mounted about the centre of the wall) only provides a gap of c. 27cm between the RHS edge of the TV and the start of the architrave.

Luckily I can physically fit the RHS speaker in to this gap however I am worried about getting a narrow stereo soundstage? The only way I can increase the separation between the speakers is to mount them at height - i.e. the RHS speaker mounted *above* the doorway. Since I will be sat on a sofa I assume the sound would be awful? Especially since I want to use B&W CWM in-wall speakers. Or maybe I could surface mount (at height) some B&W M1s angled down towards the sofa?

I would really appreciate some comments about which way to go, (a) narrow separation between speakers, or (b) wider separation between speakers but at height. And no I can't move house :-(

I have never had surround sound before so am somewhat in the dark - thanks.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom