1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice req on a slightly crazy setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by tfraser, Feb 7, 2001.

1. tfraser

tfraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my budget won't stretch to amp and 6 speakers yet:-

I already have 28" widescreen TV, Musical Fidelity E10 40W stereo amp, Mordant Short MS20i 75W stereo speakers.

I *intend* to purchase a Toshiba SD200 or other DVD player with DD 5.1 outputs on rear; also build a subwoofer, taking the subwoofer phono output straight to the subwoofer.

I wish to ignore for now the rear and centre speakers. I will use the DVD stereo outputs alongside the subwoofer until I can upgrade to a full DD system. I think it should sould great! (I have just given up a tv with a mono speaker)

Would anyone like to comment on any problems I have not anticipated? Please avoid advice which says buy a full system now.

Tim

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I suggest you buy a DVD player which has DD and DTS decoder built-in or a DVD player with stereo AND subwoofer out (there are a few).
    Toshiba players, though literally picture perfect, currently have problems with RCE discs if you consider multiregion capability, so the player should have manual selection, too.
    One possible model could hence be the Pioneer DV-636.

------------------
    If I can't eat it, drink it or fudge it, I ain't interested.

3. Ramius

Ramius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    tfraser

In your case a player with analogue 5.1 outputs is not necessary. All players are equiped with stereo outputs and the ability to 'downmix' the 5.1 into 2 channel.
    Then you'd have to connect your sub at speaker level.
    You couldn't use the stereo outputs and the 5.1 outputs at the same time as you have to choose either/or within the players setup menu.
    If you connected just the L & R of the 5.1 output into a stereo amp you would get just that. You would loose the rear effects (which you could possibly live without) but also the centre channel would be missing, so no dialogue (I suppose you could use the subtitles). [​IMG]

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

4. tfraser

tfraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to Ramius

Very helpful, I didn't realise a choice has to be made between stereo outputs and 5.1

So yes I guess missing out the centre channel is a problem. But I don't like the idea of connecting the sub at speaker level, because I want to hear the discrete sub channel information as in DD or DTS.

I might try taking the centre channel to the TV which has 4 speakers and is 42W RMS.

A bit of a wierd setup I admit and I think the centre channel played through the TV may not be able to keep up with the rest, but it will be interesting.

I am rather attracted to building my own sub as per some of the info in other threads, so I won't be able to report back tomorrow.

You mentioned some DVD players have stereo plus sub output. Would this be a better option and solve the centre channel problem? (but then would it be a proper DD decoder inside for discrete .1 info)

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This might confuse you, but every player has a decoder built-in as the player needs to provide a downmix on the stereo output.
    What we normally refer to as 'internal decoder' should actually be 'analog decoder out' / '5.1 output' or something like that.

Ramius is right to say that you loose center (and rear channel) information if you connect the front and subwoofer out of the 5.1 though you could connect the center to the TV and it will work (but still loosing the rear effects).

Therefore I stick to my suggestion using a player with stereo and subwoofer output only.

Actually if I am not mistaken a downmix will normally discard the LFE, therefore the players with dedicated subwoofer output.

------------------
    If I can't eat it, drink it or fudge it, I ain't interested.