Advice regarding upgrading from Pi 4 system

hermano

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, thinking of upgrading from current Pi 4 system. I use Pi with LMS (via Max2play) via usb into dac. Sounds good, but itchy to see if can be improved upon at reasonable budget (up to around £600). Not looking to replace my dac, just server/player. Currently Pi4 works as both. I have 2 x hard drives attached. I did look at Bluesound but worry about track limitations.

Would prefer one box solution as opposed to Nas.

Any thoughts?

There is a few opinions on this. 1s and 0s are just that. If you use the same dac and same res files you will get the same sound. Only usability will be effected

I have a Pi4 that feeds USB into a Ifi Zen DAC. Its currently using Volumio with Amazon Music, Tidal and Radio Paradise supplied via Airplay (or hardwired via USB) from the source. This has been moved to my second system only becuase I needed a second streaming source and managed to procure a used Node 2i for roughtly the cost of another Rpi and DAC. I have played both options on both systems and can not determine any diference between the two options and that includes comparing Airplay on the Rpi to direct streaming on the Node 2i. Im sure someone will point out MQA and all other Hi res points but when hardwired my source could do above CD quality. Again i cant determine a diference.

Other than being able to stream direct rather than through a device (phone) and initial set up the node is no diferent than the Rpi.

Other than being able to stream direct rather than through a device (phone) and initial set up the node is no diferent than the Rpi.

That makes sense, given that AirPlay uses lossless ALAC for streaming audio, though it is fixed at the CD-res of 16bit/44.1kHz, so will only be bit perfect if the source audio is also at CD-res (which is what you imply you are using it for, given your alternative "hardwired by USB" method for when you require hi-res).

Of course the Raspberry Pi can also relatively easily be used to stream direct (though Amazon Music is a notable exception) - it's just that you haven't set yours up for that purpose.

I had tidal on free trial and the free option for Volumio so couldn’t go direct.
Before RPi I had connected an iPhone to the DAC via lightning to usb cable and streaming that way

Hey folks, thinking of upgrading from current Pi 4 system. I use Pi with LMS (via Max2play) via usb into dac. Sounds good, but itchy to see if can be improved upon at reasonable budget (up to around £600). Not looking to replace my dac, just server/player. Currently Pi4 works as both. I have 2 x hard drives attached. I did look at Bluesound but worry about track limitations.

Would prefer one box solution as opposed to Nas.

Any thoughts?
Think the only thing you'll find different is operability, and less money in your wallet. Does the pi/lms give you everything you need? If so why change. If you wanted to improve the setup, I would add the pi touch screen, for easy control, viewable album art, plus vu meter and spectrum analyser. Max2play allows for easy integration of the screen (although need license, but can help you tackle that), or you could just get picoreplayer for free which is easy to setup.

I've got a pi3 with dac hat (and a currently loaned zen one signature) and touch screen, and a pi4 connected to my zen dac at my desk, and really rate them. Given how they perform and the cost, I dont think anything gets close. My pi3 can be controlled by the touch screen, my phone or remote control using a flirc usb.

I had tidal on free trial and the free option for Volumio so couldn’t go direct.
Before RPi I had connected an iPhone to the DAC via lightning to usb cable and streaming that way
TIDAL supply an API to approved 3rd party app developers which allows users of their streamer controller apps to connect the streamer to TIDAL's online server directly - so you could have gone direct using one of those 3rd party TIDAL supporting apps that can also be used as UPnP/DLNA controllers (Volumio free has a built-in UPnP/DLNA streamer), eg, the mconnect Player app (iOS & Android; Lite version is free) or the BubbleUPnP app (Android only; unlicensed version is free).

In fact, the OP's current method, LMS, supports TIDAL directly (via the TIDAL LMS plugin which again uses the official TIDAL API).

Last edited:
TIDAL supply an API to approved 3rd party app developers which allows users of their streamer controller apps to connect the streamer to TIDAL's online server directly - so you could have gone direct using one of those 3rd party TIDAL supporting apps that can also be used as UPnP/DLNA controllers (Volumio free has a built-in UPnP/DLNA streamer), eg, the mconnect Player app (iOS & Android; Lite version is free) or the BubbleUPnP app (Android only; unlicensed version is free).

In fact, the OP's current method, LMS, supports TIDAL directly (via the TIDAL LMS plugin which again uses the official TIDAL API).
Th OP (me) method does use LMS with Tidal directly via plugin, but this does not support MQA, even with an MQA supported dac...hence the question...how to get it to work?

It's been a while since this thread was active - still using the Pi4 with LMS, I see. Have you given up on the upgrade for now?

Unfortunately, in common with all of the free 3rd party applications that provide TIDAL access (via the official TIDAL API) apart from the notable exception of the mconnect Player Lite app, LMS's TIDAL plugin does not support TIDAL's Master audio quality connection - which is required to give you access to TIDAL's hi-res MQA tracks.

So you cannot use LMS if you want to stream TIDAL's hi-res MQA tracks. Given that, are you still interested in (other possible methods of) getting your Pi4 to do so?

BTW, strictly speaking on the TIDAL Hi-Fi audio quality connection that comes with LMS's TIDAL plugin, you do still get MQA tracks being streamed. It's just that the hi-res ones are bit depth reduced & (where required) resampled by TIDAL's online server beforehand to fit the CD audio resolution (16bit/44.1kHz) of the Hi-Fi audio quality connection.

Sorry for delay...life gets in the way sometimes. I am interested in alternative to LMS if I can get MQA to work, without shelling out for a monthly sub on top of my Tidal. I have used other systems like moode, Volumiio etc but found they struggled with larger music libraries.

If the MQA supported DAC you mentioned in a previous post only renders MQA, ie, doesn't fully decode MQA & so relies on the player software to first decode MQA to the MQA Core signal (aka 'first unfold') for it, then it'll be tricky as there's no officially approved player application for the RPi that can do that. Not even shelling out the (extra) monthly subscription for Volumio Premium & its TIDAL Connect support provides you with a software MQA decoder for the RPi!

Therefore assuming that'll you'll be using a full MQA decoding DAC with the RPi and given that you require the software on the RPi to also properly manage larger music libraries, so in reality are stuck with LMS for that, your choice is limited to just one method as far as I can see:
- Using a UPnP/DLNA streamer/renderer, in parallel with LMS's Squeezelite player, so just for when you want to play TIDAL's MQA tracks, via the mconnect Player (Lite version is free) app that I mentioned earlier.

Fortunately, it appears that Max2Play (assuming you are still using it to provide LMS for your RPi) Audioplayer plugin provides the GMediaRenderer UPnP/DLNA streamer for you to use in addition to the Squeezelite player that you are presumably already using:

At a glance​

• Controls audio three players Squeezelite, Shairport and GMediaRender
  • Offers advanced options for players
  • Sets up software-based equalizer
  • Activates lowpass filter

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom