Advice regarding sharing/splitting single cat6 cable between devices.

Fade In

So apologies in advance as my knowledge is limited.

I have a 40m cat6 ethernet cable running from a Sky Q hub router downstairs, up to a bedroom upstairs. The connection is fttc 62mb down/20mb up.

Currently it's connected to a PC, but I'd like to also connect a games console via ethernet too. The speed we get to the PC through the cable is approx 53mb/16mb.

I know switches/splitters can do something like this. Ideally I suppose I'm hoping I can plug the cable into this, and have two new cat 6 cables running out of it to each device.

Only one device would be used at a time, if that makes a difference.

What is the best way?
Will the download/upload stream reduce to either or both devices if I do this?
Are there any downsides to this?

Thanks

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24354

A small network switch such as this is what you need

Amazon product
You plug your existing cable into one of the ports, and then plug all of your other devices into any other free port. Using a switch like this will not affect your connection speed.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
You cannot "split" ethernet cables, you have to use an active device (ethernet switch) such as others are recommending. Ethernet requires that there is only one active "thing" on each end of any given cable lobe.

Technically, all links in data networks are contended in that they have a finite capacity which has to be competed for. If traffic levels (demand) is less that capacity, then everything works fine. If demand exceeds capacity, then you get congestion. Just like a road network. However, the numbers you are talking about are orders of magnitude less that the capacity of gigabit (1000mbps) ethernet, so it would seem you have nothing to worry about.

I recommend buying a "gigabit" (10/100/1000) switch (like the one @mushii linked) even if you do not have any gigabit capable devices yet. You could save (literally) a few pounds on a cheaper 10/100 switch, but the price difference is so low these days it's not worth bothering.

If your router only has a one or a few "gigabit" capable ports, cable your new switch to one of those ports. It's getting rare these days, but if you router is old, it may only have a single gigabit port (or worse still not have any) but more modern kit tends to be all gigabit.

Simple "unmanaged" "desktop" switches require no configuration and are fanless (silent) so it's literally a case of power up, cable up and off you go.

If you have an old router lying around, you could "cripple" it and use it as a switch (plus an additional Wi-Fi AP if you wanted) but for the sake of 10-20 GBP for a desktop switch, it's hardly worth the effort.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom