Advice regarding setup for Panasonic TX32LZD85 LCD TV and DMREZ27 DVD Recorder

M

MarkC-UK

Evening folks,
First post on here, so be gentle ;-)

I'm after a bit of advice regards the setup of my fantastic new Panasonic TX32LZD85 television and my Panasonic DMREZ27 DVD recorder.

Watching freeview TV is great, with no snags whatsoever, likewise I can watch prerecorded DVDs with no probs, BUT I am having no success in trying to record (using the timer) freeview broadcast programmes.

Existing set up:

aerial downlead into RF IN on DMREZ27. Aerial flylead from RF OUT on DMREZ27 into the aerial socket on the back of the TX32LZD85.
HDMI from back of DMREZ27 into HDMI1 on back of TX32LZD85.

(I also have a PS3 connected using HDMI into the back of the TX32LZD85 via the HDMI2 socket.)

I cannot record any TV at all. The timer event doesn't work and nothing is recorded.

So, after perusing the manual some more, I am thinking I need a SCART cable to get this working properly??
I'm hoping to take advantage of the VIERA link but realise this has limitations (and might not be as great as the sales blurb made out:rolleyes:)

Hoping for some enlightenment regards the setup and connections.

TIA
MarkC

alsina

Evening folks,
First post on here, so be gentle ;-)

I'm after a bit of advice regards the setup of my fantastic new Panasonic TX32LZD85 television and my Panasonic DMREZ27 DVD recorder.

Watching freeview TV is great, with no snags whatsoever, likewise I can watch prerecorded DVDs with no probs, BUT I am having no success in trying to record (using the timer) freeview broadcast programmes.

Existing set up:

aerial downlead into RF IN on DMREZ27. Aerial flylead from RF OUT on DMREZ27 into the aerial socket on the back of the TX32LZD85.
HDMI from back of DMREZ27 into HDMI1 on back of TX32LZD85.

(I also have a PS3 connected using HDMI into the back of the TX32LZD85 via the HDMI2 socket.)

I cannot record any TV at all. The timer event doesn't work and nothing is recorded.

So, after perusing the manual some more, I am thinking I need a SCART cable to get this working properly??
I'm hoping to take advantage of the VIERA link but realise this has limitations (and might not be as great as the sales blurb made out:rolleyes:)

Hoping for some enlightenment regards the setup and connections.

TIA
MarkC

You do not need a scart cable. You are either doing something wrong or you have a faulty recorder. What process are you using to record?

adebig

Make sure you use the EPG from the EZ-27 when setting the timer recording as this should ensure that the recorder's internal tuner is used.

M

MarkC-UK

Cheers for the reply Alsina

OK, I've been having a fiddle. I've had some success and made a recording but something is still not right.

Here is my process:

DVD recorder switched off, blank DVD RAM in recorder, watching BBC1 via freeview (TV input set to DVB). I go to 'guide' on the TV remote control, see 'Bourne Identity' currently on Five. Select this and choose 'timer recording'. DVD player fires up, message on screen states 'recording TV Source'. The TV switches over to Five as the recording starts (Viera link works:thumbsup:)

BUT, I want to watch the news but I can't switch back to BBC1 as a message "tuner locked please stop recording to operate. Continue or unlock" is now displayed on screen whenever I try and change channels.

How can I record one channel whilst watching another??

Cheers,
MarkC

NinjaMonkeyUK

I go to 'guide' on the TV remote control, see 'Bourne Identity' currently on Five. Select this and choose 'timer recording'.

Thats where you're going wrong. If you press the Guide button on the TV remote, you are actually setting the timer on the TV, which ties up it's tuner for use by the DVD recorder.

Instead, think of the TV's Guide as "just" for seeing what is on now & later.

To set a timer recording, you need to use the Guide button on the DVD recorder's remote control. It looks & operates very similar when on screen, but it puts the DVD recorder's tuner into use rather than tying up your TV's tuner.

Hope that helps. :)

alsina

And if you do want to use Viera Link, press the Viera Link button on the TV remote, select the recorder by pressing the OK button to access the recorder, go down to 'To Others' when the recorder menu appears and then select 'TV Guide' to access the recorders EPG. Sounds complicated but really easy when you've tried it a few times.

M

MarkC-UK

Ninja/Alsina/Adrian,
Blown away by the quick responses. Thanks for all your help.

The root cause of the problem was that the DVD recorder's EPG was totally blank. I carried out an update which then repopolated the guide. Recording is now working fine:thumbsup:

One last question; the TV EPG is crystal clear & pin sharp. The DVD Recorder's EPG looks rough and pixelated. I can still easily read the menu so it causes no problems but is this poor display normal??

Once again, thanks for the advice.

MarkC

Edit: TV aspect is set to 'auto'

Last edited by a moderator:

NinjaMonkeyUK

Yeah, thats pretty normal.

You may have not set the recorde to upscale though - its hard to tell without actually seeing it myself.

When the recorder is showing a menu onscreen (or playing back content), you should get in the top left corner, for a few seconds, the name of the input & just under that the inputs resolution.

If it says 576p, you haven't turned adjusted the scaling of the recorder. You can do that in it's setup menu, and as you've got a Full HD set you can set the recorder to 1080p. It probably won't make that much of a difference when playing back DVDs, but it should sharpen up the menus a bit for you.

But the menu system on Panasonic's DVD recorders never matches the quality of the one built into their TVs. They just look a bit "smoother" or more professional on the TVs.

adebig

In order to alter the HDMI settings it will be neccessary to disconnect the scart lead temporarily otherwise they will be "greyed out" and unavailable to you. The settings can be found in.....

Functions-To Others-Setup-Connection-HDMI Settings

Gavtech

Administrator
In order to alter the HDMI settings it will be neccessary to disconnect the scart lead temporarily otherwise they will be "greyed out" and unavailable to you. The settings can be found in.....

Functions-To Others-Setup-Connection-HDMI Settings

There is an interesting development on this page [ Posts 19-21], which suggests that the settings access can be determined by which input the user manually selects on the TV.

i.e. - switching the TV away from the HDMI input actually releases the whole HDMI interface and makes it possible to access the RGB settings.

The more circumstantial verifications we can have of this behaviour, the better.

adebig

I have just done some checking on my EX-77 and if I am viewing via HDMI and then select the Function menu, the output is immediately switched to Scart and the HDMI settings are "greyed out" and unavailable. However if I then reselect the HDMI input on the TV while the menu is showing then the HDMI settings become available, and AV1 reverts to Video and RGB settings become unavailable. (I must point out that I do not usually connect by HDMI as I prefer Scart and auto-switching.)

Last edited by a moderator:

chawky

Standard Member
Hope you don't mind the thread hijack ;-)

I've just bought a Panny TX-32LXD80 and it does some odd things when it receives input from my HDD freeview box menu screen, and DVD player when it encounters things like plain white screens, and fast moving monochrome/one colour on black sequences.

For example, at the beginning of my "Peep Show" DVD which consists of the channel 4 logo on a white background (I'd estimate an 85% white screen), it seems to have trouble 'interpreting' the input and does that thing that TVs used to do when the vertical hold was on the blink - it also displays this (the input source) in the top left hand corner of the screen - EC/AV1.

When my Sagem Freeview HDD recorder display it's recorded programmes menu it also has trouble and does the same thing except it displays a blank screen for a couple of seconds before it displays anything.

On initially turning on the Sagem box, the left hand top display shows:

EC/AV1
auto

At the moment it's settings are all the factory default - do I need to disable auto switching for input sources somewhere because I can't seem to find anything in the menus or in the user guide (even Google has been no help)!

Needless to say that this behaviour never exhibited itself on my old Philips CRT, which had the same input setup.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be really grateful; thanks in advance,

Chawky

Gavtech

Administrator
Hello Chawky.

Could you describe please, exactly what you have connected and to which inputs.

chawky

Standard Member
OK, I've got DVD scart out --> HDD thru, HDD scart out --> Scart-to-RF box* scart --> TV

*so i can use the existing RF wiring in my place to watch DVD / HDD programmes upstairs

Of course, now I've realised that I've committed the cardinal sin of asking for advice on a forum, and not tried some basics myself first - having done that I've realised that it's probably the scart to rf box doing something to the signal, because when I take it out of the loop everything is fine... doh, I feel such a fool!

Sorry folks, although I'll leave this message and maybe if someone else is having problems it'll remind tehm to try the obvious stuff first.

Ta, CH

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom