Advice regarding Progressive dvd players for AE100 please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Taz69, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +357
    Hiya all

I currently have a Toshiba SD330e connected via Component Leads to my AE100, however I cant find the manual to see if this player is ouputting a progressive signal either via Pal or NTSC ?

Anyone have the answer please.

Thanks in advance

Taz

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    The 330 doesn't output a progressive signal at all its interlace only. The AE100 will convert the output itself to progressive scan internally but this isn't quite as good as the dvd player itself doing it. I've used a 330 on my AE100 myself and the results are just about ok. A proper progressive scan player even quite a cheap one will probably do a better job.

If you want a good quality high performance progressive scan dvd player to go with your AE100 something like this will do you proud;

http://www.dabs.com/uk/productView.htm?quicklinx=2X3B

It also features a full dd/dts/dvd audio decoder. It doesn't have RGB scart output but that doesn't matter if its for a AE100.

3. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +357
    Hi m8, thanks for clarifying that the tosh doesnt output a progressive picture.

Any other dvd players that are recommended for use with a PJ, with progressive output, preferrably both PAL and NTSC, but as I do get a fair amount of R1 NTSC disks, I may be willing to go for one with just NTSC if the price is too high to get both.

Thanks

Taz

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
  5. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +357
    Hiya m8, thanks for the review link, trouble is I am just not sure of a £40 bit of kit doing exactly what I need with the quality, I will have a look at any feedback on this unit, or does anyone know of a main brand palyer with Pal/NTSC progressive output.

Thanks

Mark

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    At the 'entry level' end of the market IMX the Sony 730 is a great little player and had very good progressive performance.

7. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    There are lots of players now with both pal and ntsc progressive scan. The AMW has performance competitive with most players upto about £150. I think the AMW has come down so low in price because they stupidly didn't fit a RGB scart socket which is important in the uk/europe. The Yamaha 540 is available for about £100. The quality of the Yamaha is more hit and miss though it seems. The way I see it the AMW is a good stop gap until Panasonic bring out a replacement for the S75 with PAL progressive scan. Really though its down to what actual features you want and how your going to use the player. The AMW is meant to have a very good dvd drive and the mediatek chipset has just about the best error correction. Its a great player for those using dvd-rs. The Sony 730 model probably has a better component image marginally but the dvd drive is a slower and less compatible and you will have noticable layer change pauses in movies. I have an AE100 myself and great as it is, its resolution is 858x484 so its not even capable of showing PAL widescreen movies at full resolution as almost 100 scanlines of detail is lost.

Another possibility is the Kiss DP-450 from amazon at £125 approx. With its excellent image scaling features its ideal for the AE100. The latest firmware has absolutely superb dvd playback. In fact the DP508 reviewed in the current What Video got 5/5 for picture and the DP-450 is no different in this regard. It has PAL and NTSC progressive scan although you need a small simple adaptor cable to give you component out. I made my own for a few pence.