1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice re Toshiba 36ZP38B

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by HMFC1874, Sep 9, 2005.

1. HMFC1874

HMFC1874
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last night my wife came upstairs to speak to me and on return the picture on the tv had gone :confused: The sound was fine, but a blank screen was all that could be seen!!
    Tried the obvious connections etc to no avail. Then after a little while the screen flickered and now it is vibrant green/purple/black vertical and horizontal jumping lines :eek: Still perfect sound.
    Checked the purchase date and it was nov 2003. Phoned Toshiba and the guy could offer no help over the phone as the menu select page would not come up. After a few minutes the tv goes onto standby and the toshiba guy says this is a safety feature that the set has which puts it into standby whewn it detects a fault. He gave me a number for a toshiba engineer in edinburgh and to be honest having paid over £1300 less than 2 years ago I am a bit miffed to say the least that I may have a sizeable repair bill :thumbsdow
    My question is this, can anyone advise from the info provided a rough idea of the fault and approximate cost?? Also am I wasting my time complaing to Toshiba??

Many thanks.................

2. flat spot

flat spot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Yes you are wasting your time complaining. Mine was the same. 2 years old and it went wrong. Atrocious I think that they should fail like this. The guy that came to me was also the toshiba "approved" engineer and at £60+vat for labour it's an expensive do.
    There is only 1 year manufacturers warranty with them. It doesn't say much about the reliability if thats all they can offer. I phoned "sound and vision" the shop where I bought it and the 1st thing they asked was did I buy the extended warranty. What on new electronic gear?? Didn't think I'd need to :eek:
    My sinclair zx81 still works fine. :mad:

3. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    unfortunately, most products come with an extended warranty that you do of course have to pay for, if you decide not to take it out then thats your choice.
    the manufacturers and suppliers like to use this lever as a get out,unfortunately it is also a very valid one where the goodwill becomes the extended warranty, and an ever decreasing circle

4. HMFC1874

HMFC1874
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice guys. Anyone give me a little help as to whether this is going to be a potential financial disaster??? Or any thoughts on what might be wrong??

Thanks

5. Vnb

Vnb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I can't tell you whats wrong but if it costs £60 ish for someone to tell you whats wrong and if he can fix it, he might have to come back so it'll cost £120 plus whatever bit's he needs which could be expensive parts. My guess would be the tv is worth £400 - £500.
    Is it worth fixing when the price of consumer electronics is plummeting ? It may be if you had expected 5 years life out of it, but if you were planning to upgrade in year or 2's time anyway it might be cheaper to replace.

regards,
    vnb

6. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    This is a known fault with the chassis used in this model.

It is a stright-forward repair but quite costly. The part required is over £150 alone!

We have repaired one of these recently - after a call from the customer to Toshiba the parts were sent free of charge, leaving the customer with a very reasonable invoice.

Toshiba were happy to provide the parts foc as the set was only 26 months old. We have always found Toshiba to be one of the better manufacturers when it comes to 'goodwill' offers - they seem more interested than some in keeping customers happy.

Obviously, the first thing you need to do is get the set to a decent engineer.

It shouldn't cost a fortune to repair!

GG. :)

7. HMFC1874

HMFC1874
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    update

The set was removed and repaired by a Toshiba authorised repairer.
    Total inc VAT was £141. better than I thought but still a bit miffed:(

8. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Sounds like he got the parts for free! ;)

GG

9. HMFC1874

HMFC1874
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More advice needed please.................
    Guess what?? the same fault has returned, just 2 weeks after repair by authorised dealer:thumbsdow
    I need to know where I stand with this as the repairer says I get a 3 month warranty on this repair, but it is the fact I am without my television AGAIN for a few days:(
    I am looking to get the Toshiba 37WLT58 in the next few months so dont want to muck about with this situation much longer :)
    Would be grateful for advice as to whether to moan at Toshiba direct or just the authorised repair man, btw the set is 20 months old so out of Toshiba warranty.
    As an aside when I get my new lcd Toshiba, what is the best warranty to go for to try and get either 3 or 5 years peace of mind??
    Thanks

10. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,909
    Exactly the same symptoms as your first post?

Your repair guarantee is with the repair engineer.........not Toshiba.

11. HMFC1874

HMFC1874
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is exactly what happened the last time.............. before I got the vibrant colours on the screen, i.e. ghost imaging around the edges of images

12. chips229

chips229

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Everyone :hiya:
    My first post,i didnt know weather to start a new thread,ive a similar sort of screen problem so thought id post here :rolleyes:

I bought a Toshiba 36ZP38B television around two years ago because my old Sony tv packed up,that lasted over 10 years so i was hoping this Toshiba was going to last for a good amount of years what with all this modern technology and for the fact that the tube tv has been around for so long i wouldnt have problems.
    Getting to the point :boring: :D
    The tv has never been of any trouble until this week.When i switch the tv on the pictures not coming up,its not happening everytime but this morning when the picture did display it was bright and with little colour.I turn the tv off and unplugged it from the mains for a few minutes,then retried and its fine.But surely this tv shouldnt be playing up after only being two years old.
    I paid £1800 :eek: which is for us Alot of money to fork out for a television.
    I also only had the 1 years warranty because i didnt expect tobe having any trouble with it.
    Is this screen display problem going to get worse and the picture not come on at all?
    Sorry for the long post guys but i really dont know what to do next as regards to picture problem :rolleyes:
    Can anyone help :lease:

Cheers chips.

13. chips229

chips229

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Anyone able to help please :lease: or is this like any other forum where no one bothers to speak to new members :) :D

14. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,909
    I'm sorry but I don't really know what sort of answer you are looking for?
    Nobody here has "second sight", it may happen again in which case you call in an engineer.
    I know it is just over two years old and you paid a lot for it but it's just bad luck I'm afraid.
    You could complain long and hard at the shop you bought it from.......or write a letter of complaint to Toshiba and see if that gets results.

15. chips229

chips229

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Many Thanks for your reply :smashin:
    Im going to give Toshiba a Call,will post up what happens.

16. Icosphere

Icosphere
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, does anyone know if an external subwoofer can be attached to the Toshiba 36ZP38B TV? The built-in sub doesn't do it justice.
    If so, which socket at the back of the TV should the sub be connected to? I've been advised by Toshiba Customer Services that this can be done by connecting to the Surround Out sockets at the back and set the Surround sound option to OFF from the TV remote. But doing this surely disables any surround output? i.e. won't be getting 5.1 sound if turned off?
    Please advise anyone.
    :lease:

17. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    It might work as it sounds like it will disable the internal surround and send it to an external source.

18. Icosphere

Icosphere
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would be fantastic if it does work... I guess the only way to find out is to attach a sub to it and see. I am planning on purchasing the Yamaha YST-FSW100S Subwoofer, does anyone know if this sub is any good, all I want is a reasonable priced sub with a good bass output for both TV and HiFi?

Here are some specs on the sub:

Dynamic Power: 130 Watts
    Output Power(5 ohms, 100Hz, 10% THD): 75 watts
    Frequency Response: 30-200 Hz
    Magnetic shielding around Drivers Block interference that causes Distortion
    Color: Silver
    Dimensions(WxHxD): 15 3/4" x 14 3/4" x 6 3/16" (400 x 375 x 157 mm)
    Weight: 19.8 lbs. (9 kg)

19. chips229

chips229

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    A Engineer had a look at my 36ZP38 Tv ands says its more than likely a computer board fault,says the tube seems fine.He said the on screen menu display works fine and if it was the tube that would play up,teletext also works ok when the Tv picture is unstable.
    It seems the same sort of problem as the other posts ive read on this forum..
    Ive written a letter to Toshiba and im waiting to here back from them..Ive also spoken to the Toshiba customer support line,when after 10 minutes you manage to get through.Not getting much joy there,but im not going to give up on this and will let you know what happens next.

20. chips229

chips229

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    UPDATE.

I had a phone call today from Toshiba and they have agreed to supply the replacement parts for FREE :clap: i have to pay for the Labour,so im Happy with that it will help me out.

The shop says it charges £35 for a inspection fee and the labour charge per hour is £40....is that about the going rate?,just asking out of interest.

So is the inspection charge a fixed rate for finding the fault?
    Then £40 per hour on top to fix?

I just want to be clear before i take it down to the shop on the weekend.
    Also what sort of time span,getting the parts,fitting,testing etc before its fixed...Just after a rough idea please.

Cheers Chips.

21. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    A friend had a similiar problem with his 32ZP48. Screen went blank and then TV went inot standby.

Toshiba also said to him that it is a safety feature.

He checked the purchase date and there was only ONE DAY left on it so he was able to get it repaired via the warranty.

Its dissapointing to see these new TV sets develop faults so early. Gone are the days when CRT TVs used to last 10+ years.

22. chips229

chips229

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Seems the old Televisions with Valves were less trouble :)

Anyone able to answer my questions in my last post please :)

23. Cedders

Cedders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 32ZP38B, just over 2 years old has developed the same fault. Its perversely reassuring to see others have the same problem. Its a sod trying to find someone to fix it. My local TV repair man said 'drop it round'. Has he tried to lift one of these? It took two burly guys to deliver it! Another local Toshiba agent wants £35 to come round and take a look, it looks like i'll have to pay this and hope to pursuade Tosh to supply the parts gratis.
    Thanks

24. chips229

chips229

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Its just a shame that Toshiba cant build this model to last :thumbsdow
    You might end up having to write a letter to them to get things moving,ive spent alot of time over the last few weeks on the phone (my mobile used all me talktime) to Toshiba.Oh and if Toshiba agree to fund the parts free,get it in writting...that way you will save yourself more phone calls :smashin:
    I just hope the Tele comes back working fine after the repair :suicide:
    Maybe a email to watchdog with another un happy Toshiba customer might help others in the future,cant see this being the last 36ZP38 model with problems :lesson:

25. Waveform

Waveform

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yet another 32ZP38B with the same fault (black screen but sound and menu ok) after about 2 years. Extremely annoying as the Sony set that the Toshiba replaced is still going strong after 8 years.
    The Tosh has been a great set upto now so I am hoping that Customer Service are sympathetic. I'll get back to the forum with any progress.

26. chips229

chips229

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The problem with my Toshiba 36ZP38B is the Scan Converter Module which is £94ish to replace,lucky Toshiba are covering the parts cost.So the parts have been ordered and im waiting for the shop to phone me when its fixed.

27. Waveform

Waveform

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    chips could you let me have the address that you wrote to at Toshiba to get things moving? I'm getting bounced around Customer Service Dept at the moment and getting a bit fed up with it...
    PM me if you'd prefer

28. chips229

chips229

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    RESULT :thumbsup:

Just been down to the repair shop and picked me Toshiba 36ZP38B up and it works again :clap:
    Cant believe how big the screen is after watching the Goldstar 20inch set for two weeks and its nice not to have to get up to turn over channels or volume :) .

The costs..

£20 for a drink for a friend for the use of his estate car.
    £££ Unknown cost of phone calls to Toshiba.
    £35 For the inspection fee at the shop.
    and just £12 to pay when i picked the set up.
    So thats £47 labour in total to fix it,which to be honest im More than happy with :smashin:
    So Toshiba have supplied the parts for FREE which has saved me around £100.
    Im hoping the set will last more than another 2 to 2/half years :rolleyes:

Waveform..The address i wrote was...

Toshiba
    Customer Service Dept
    Consumer Products
    Admiralty Way
    Camberley
    Surrey
    GU15 3DT

Phone: +44 (0) 1276 694000

Ive also phoned them on the number above,as well as the other numbers,like you i was passed from one place to another.
    Good luck getting yours fixed and hope Toshiba are fair and take care of the cost of parts.
    Again Good Luck :)

and in case anyone else is looking for info with the same sort of problems with this model heres a link to another post topic on this forum with the same sort of problems...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257420

Cheers chips.