1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice re John Lewis Price Match

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bigtired, Nov 26, 2003.

1. bigtired

bigtired
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I have read the recent thread re the above and am probably being stupid. I understand the issues re the price match but am unsure about who to ring etc.

I would like to buy the famed Sony KV32FX68. I live in Wrexham in North Wales and the nearest JL is in Liverpool.

Who do I ring to start the price match debate. Is it the Liverpool store or is it the number off the internet for JL?

If I am dealing with Liverpool can I use the Total Digital/Premier AV Centre shop in Birmingham as the price match shop or do I need one nearer Liverpool?

Wrexham is circa 40 miles away from Liverpool - will there be any delivery charges?

Who do I ask to speak to in JL and what do I say/not say?

Help please!

Regards

Justin

2. KarlosFandango

KarlosFandango
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bourght a TV from JL a few years ago and then found it ALOT cheaper elsewhere. Showed them proof of the price (page from a magazine) and they refunded the difference, no questions asked. I also recently bought a camera from them and found that dixons where doing a one day sale. I took the flyer into JL and once again they refunded the difference immediately. Got to admit that they have been excellent in my experience. I think they also give you 30 days to find it cheaper so you get a chance to search around to save a few quid.

Be careful with proof from internet companies as they may not price match with them - a local electronics store wouldn't. I would probably deal with the store you'll be buying from and speak to some one in the electronics department. BTW, do JL still offer free five year warranties with their large TV's. If so then I would certainly buy from them when again when I change.

Karl

3. bigtired

bigtired
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    They still do 5 year guarantees and free delivery. That is why I am interested in JL. I can get the TV a lot cheaper than JL but that company do not do the 5 year guarantees and free delivery. Thats why I want to use the price match to get the free delivery and free extra guarantee in effect. I am also unsure whether you can only do it retrospectively or whether you can ring up JL and say "I want it from you but you are dearer - here's the evidence" give me the telly at the cheaper rate.

4. KarlosFandango

KarlosFandango
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They definately used to give you a while (30 days) after purchase, probably worth a phone call or check the website to be sure.

5. ste1010

ste1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My advice is go to your nearest JL Store and findout if they will deliver to your area. If they wont your stuffed. If they will ask to speak to the undersales department. To get a price match the item needs to be stocked by JL and not a special order.

Also the store you use for the price match must have a walk in store. Do a search as there are loads of threads which list stores that people have used.

Also JL will charge for delivery if the store you price match against charges for delivery.

It may be worth using Barclaycard as they do a price promiseand will match the price an internet only company charge. you could then price match with JL and then if you find it cheaper at a store that JL will not match you can get Barclaycard to match the difference.

Good Luck

6. bigtired

bigtired
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

Just to let you know I contacted Liverpool JL - they deliver free to my post code area - price matched the TV with Premier A/V Centre in Birmingham (Total Digital) - have details if anyone wants it. TD did not have it in stock - JL said it would check out the price match and if ok would put me on a reserve list until TD had it back in stock. JL rang back within 10 minutes - confirmed price match and allowed me to order there and then. Will recieve TV 6/12/03 in the pm. Can't wait!

Thanks for all the advice,

Regards

Justin

7. hb1966

hb1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im also looking at this set from JL. Can the JL 'deal' be beaten? You get the TV, stand, 5yrs guarantee and free delivery all for £900. From the sites Ive visited, the really cheap prices on this TV dont have the any of the above, except the tv!

Justin, did you get the stand and 5yr guarantee??

8. bigtired

bigtired
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  9. bigtired

bigtired
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hb1966 forgot to say that in effect they have matched the Total Digital offer of £715

http://www.totaldigital.biz/product_info.php/products_id/10

However you save the £30 delivery charge (JL do it free) and teh cost of a 4 year warranty extension is circa £110 (Domestic and General quote) so overall you are £140 better off.

10. hb1966

hb1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bigtired, thats good news. I thought they would price match on the TV, but not throw in the freebies. Think I might treat myself tomorrow.

11. hb1966

hb1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bigtired, just phoned an order through to JL. its been referred but ive been told i will have to pay for delivery! how did you get free delivery as totaldigital will charge for delivery. JL already confirmed they deliver to my area, so Im suprised by this. Still sounds a bargain providing i dont get hit hard with the delivery charge.

12. bigtired

bigtired
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hb1966, I don't know is the short answer. Its possible that JL simply made a mistake with my transaction and forgot to ask TD for any 'hidden' cost details such as the delivery charges. What I thought JL would do is price match TD including the delivery charge i.e. £745. You need to find out what JL intend to charge for the delivery charge. At the end of the day if they charge say £50. its still only £20 above what you would have to pay TD and you still get the 5 year guarantee. No consolation I know when you know someone has had a slighter sweeter deal, but if you look at other postings in this Forum on the same topic you will find that JL are inconsistent regarding the price match policy. It is the luck of the draw. You say that JL confirmed they delivered to your area - was that free delivery because its only free within a certain radius? It could be that they are legitimately making a charge. Its obvious that even with the price match that JL will still making some money. Try and bargain them down on the delivery costs if their opening gambit is still to charge. Another contributor to this Forum achieved this.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

13. bigtired

bigtired
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  14. hb1966

hb1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bigtired,
    would you be so kind as to measure your tv's stand and tell me the useable dimensions, esp width and height. I need to know whether i can get all my equipment 'into' the stand.

(JL are matching at £735, which is fine by me but £20 dearer than expected.)

15. poldfiel

poldfiel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am also trying to price match with JL over the KV32FX68 which Total Digital are quoting at £715 plus £20 delivery. The shopfloor guy at JL tells me that TD do not have any in stock therefore unable to price match - strange I thought when I was told they are in stock and since re-confirmed this 5 mins ago! - anyone suggest next course of action i.e. would a call to JL undersales direct have better success ?

16. hb1966

hb1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    poldfiel, I received a letter from JL this morning informing me of their price match. I initiated this on Thurs last week, having checked with TD they had stock; which they did. Not sure why I was honoured with a letter over a phone call, perhaps I am special afterall!

17. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Great that John Lewis will price match and deliver forty miles from nearest branch free if you can pull it off.
    With their 5 year guarantee, does anybody know what happens if you need service, do they have their own people that travel, did they used to use Endeva, because obviously they must have an alternative since they went pop.
    I know plasmas are attended to by manufacturer, Panasonic for instance, but someone I know is interested in a normal 36" crt and the local dealer only repairs sets they supplied themselves so she doesn't want to come unstuck.
    Would she have to return the TV to John Lewis for servicing ? :cool:

18. bigtired

bigtired
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    gringottsdirect

Don't know is the short answer - direct question for JL I suggest. When I bought a TV from Unbeatable for my folks a couple of years ago, Unbeatable subcontracted the guarantee to a company on the Wirral who take the TV back to base if they could not fix on site. I would guess JL will have a similar arrangement. I would also guess that they do not give a replacement TV to 'tie you over' whilst the guaranteed TV is being repaired.

19. bigtired

bigtired
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  20. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    bigtired,
    Thanks for reply. :)
    She asked John Lewis and the answer was " they send an engineer ". A lot of companies who have had their contracts with Endeva terminated now have no field service , just curious who JL use. Seems in a lot of cases the store staff don't know things have changed. :cool:

21. bigtired

bigtired
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    poldfiel,

I got my TV price matched by JL Liverpool - they checked with TD and confirmed the price and the fact that they did not have it in stock. JL said that normal procedure was that I would be put on a reserve list until TD had it in stock - and then said that it was daft and given that TD would have it in stock they would waive the normal procedure and my TV is being delivered this Saturday. Can I suggest that you quote the Liverpool experience - the lady who dealt with me was called Marie.

Good Luck

22. poldfiel

poldfiel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks hb1966 and bigtired for replies -

JL have referred my request to Undersales for the time being with the "but we are really busy at this time of year" clause , so I'll have to wait and see and hope. I will certainly quote the Liverpool example if necessary, thanks again for the advice.

23. hb1966

hb1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My price match is with the Cheadle store.

24. poldfiel

poldfiel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: Got the price match for the 32FX68 from JL Cheadle against the TD price of £715 + £20 delivery = £735 - arrives next Tues - hope it meets expectations:smashin:

25. bigtired

bigtired
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hb1966 and poldfiel

I get mine on Saturday - will post my opinion of it - pl do the same

hb1966 - what are you doing re the Sony - I noticed another posting from you re Panasonic - have you made a decision?

26. hb1966

hb1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bigtired, Im off to a local shop tomorrow to try and have another play with the sets. Hopefully that will allow me to make a decision.

27. Elgreco

Elgreco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I rung up the Cheadle branch today to try to price match the Sony as I've been let down by Panasonic. They said someone would ring me back but it might take a week. I would like a new tele before xmas. Btw is the 100htz ok for viewing footy on cable?

28. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Still can't confirm procedure, looking at today's thread in plasma section it looks that JL are struggling to replace Endeva as they are using third parties, so not doing it themselves. :(

www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106087

29. IvorBigun

IvorBigun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add to the JL price match thread, at the monent i am trying to get JL Bluewater to match KrishAV on a Sony KV32FX68, JL price £899, KrishAV price £699, both with stands.
    Had a telephone conversation with a lady from JL undersales department who confirmed that although KrishAV have the product in stock, is not a grey import, that they have a retail shop, etc., in fact, to the best of m knowledge they meet all the criteria JL set for a price match, they would still not agree the match as the shop did not show a "shelf edge price" for the product.
    Anyone heard of this getout clause before????

30. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Yes - JLP price-match with the price displayed in shop, not with a price that you can knock the shop down to (e.g. by quoting the shop's online store price).

If you walked into the KrishAV shop and looked for their price on a Sony KV32FX68, what would it show? That is what JLP will price match against.

Cheers,
    Liam