Advice re Humax PVR8000T and separate DVD Recorder, please

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by bejayar, Nov 25, 2004.

Tags:
  1. bejayar

bejayar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having almost decided to buy a DVD/HDD Recorder Combi (probably the Pioneer DVR520), reviews and posts on this forum re. the Humax PVR8000T have led me to consider whether I would be better off with that machine (80Gb version) and a separate DVD recorder for archiving, particularly as I would also like to replace my existing Freeview box (one of the original ON-Digital boxes).

Some advice from existing users re. archiving to a separate DVD recorder would be much appreciated, particularly re:

1. I believe I've read somewhere that the Humax PVR8000T has separate Scart RGB outputs for TV and VCR. Am I right?

2. Presumably the archive process involves connecting the Humax box to the DVD recorder via scart, and playing the HDD recording whilst re-recording it on the DVD recorder - i.e. in real time?

3. Bearing in mind the Humax bitrate is relatively high, how practical/easy is it to compress (say) a two hour program to fit onto a single DVD-R? I guess this will depend on the features of the chosen DVD recorder, so any suggestions on a suitable choice would be appreciated.

4. For material archived to DVD at the best quality setting, is there any noticeable quality drop?

5. Is it possible to omit certain parts of the original recording such as adverts (e.g. via a playlist)?

I'm also attracted by the apparent user-friendliness of the EPG programming function of the PVR8000T - is it as good as it suggests?

2. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I think that a lot of your questions would be better posted in the DVD recorder section.

1. The scarts on the Humax, TV and VCR output a best signal of RGB and s-video respectivley.

If you want the best quality input to the dvd recorder, loop the RGB signal through the dvd recorder. It can be a close run thing whether the s-video signal is noticeably different to the RGB signal, especially on up to 32" tv's, so you may be able to run the dvd recorder on the VCR output.

2. Yes

3. As the output of the Humax is in real time, the (Humax) bit rate is immaterial as far as recording size is concerned. What you can fit on the DVD depends on the DVD recording bit rate.

4. Don't know as I don't have a dvd recorder.

5. Editing would have to be done in the dvd recorder, so make sure that you get one with these facilities (or edit the dvd on a pc).

6. The EPG is very easy to use for programming. The only small drawback is the lack of padding. I usually add a few mins to the end of recording times so I don't miss the end of the programme.

:)

3. bejayar

bejayar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ikki

Thanks for your response. I've now done some more research and am still undecided, so have posted a new thread on this forum and on the DVD Recorder forum which hopefully will help me make my decision.

Brian

4. Flak_Munky

Flak_Munky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

1) 8kt only outputs RGB from Scart 1, so connect this to your DVDR. My Pioneer 220 has RGB loopthrough, so my Humax is not directly connected to my TV.

2) Set it off recording and go to work.

3) Choose the highest bit-rate which will let you get the entire recording on one disc.

4) I can't see a difference between the DVD recording using the 2 hour setting and the original... but Freeview can be highly compressed already... Saying that, my recordings are top notch. I never use the internal tuner of my DVDR...

5) No editing controls on the Humax - use VR mode on DVD recorder.

6) Ditto comment on padding... And if a movie is 'continued after the news' remember to set the second part! ALWAYS PAD THE RECORDING TIME!!! V. easy to do. Ch4 & CH5 are worst for not adhering to schedule.

I can thoroughly recommend the 8kt and a DVDR. Your archives will be of the highest possible quality you could get. Until a DVB + DVDR + HDD machine hits the shelves, this would be your best set-up...

Regards,

fM

I keep repeating this, hope I don't get into trouble, but www.radioandtelly.co.uk has a dedicated Humax forum... v. helpful.